Aa
A
A
A
Close
Pregnancy: Social Community
17.3k Members
Avatar universal

Blood test shows high risk for down syndrome. 16 weeks pregnant

If you ladies have seen my other post i have been concerned with this pregnancy. Not showing and baby was really low . I went to the dr Monday. No ultrasound but heard hb. I got my blood taken and got emailed results today. Im a little confused but from what it said its a 1 out of 80 that baby has DS. I am completely devasted . Been crying all day. Of course i get my results on sat where i can't talk to a dr. All my ultrasound have been fine. I have been so worried this pregnancy and i guess my heart just knew. My pregnancy with my daughter was perfect. I am absolutely hurt and scared. All my ultrasound have been perfect. I was so worried with this pregnancy cause im not showing yet.  My last ultrasound was at 12 weeks.  Maybe baby isn't correctly because of the DS. :(  I know its just a test and not a for sure answer.  But i am very scared .
10 Responses
Avatar universal
I heard that those tests are not always super accurate. My best friend growing her mom had that test done with her sister and the doc told her that no doubt the baby had DS well that baby happened to be the smartest out of all of them and is now in a masters program! Have faith. Talk to your doc tomorrow. Even if baby has DS that is your baby and you love your baby.
Try and enjoy your mothers day today!
13167 tn?1327197724
This is just a screening test - and it's more likely at this point that your baby doesn't have Downs.  

"Not showing yet" isn't a symptom of Downs,  neither is carrying low.  Do you have the test results?  What exactly did they say?

Best wishes -
Avatar universal
They really didn't say anything.  I got emailed test results on a Sat. Of course dr wasn't in. It just said that i am 1 out 80 chance the baby has DS. I don't know what my dr will be doing. My original app isn't until June 1st. Hopefully he sees me sooner because i can't wait that long.
Avatar universal
Ok calm down honey. 1 in 80 chance means 1.2% chance that baby has DS. That means there is a 98.8% chance your little one doesn't. That isn't high risk at all. Those tests constantly give false positives which is one reason my hubby and I opted to not get the test done
At 16 weeks baby usually is very low still around the public bone. Some women never show,  seriously I have 2 cousins that look a little chubby around the middle when they are 9 months along not like me who looks like I am carrying a full grown football player in my stomach.
I would suggest trying to calm down and wait for your 20 week ultrasound if baby has DS there will be markers on the ultrasound showing it. I wouldn't recommend demanding an amnio right away because your chance is low and their are serious risks that come with it.
Good luck mama
Avatar universal
I could be wrong but from what i heard baby's are typically smaller and don't grow correctly.  Thats why i thought me not showing yet was a concern as well. Im trying to remain calm but im a mess.  
Avatar universal
I didn't really start showing til after 20 weeks. Im also caring my daughter low. And when the doc told me about the test, he said some test do come back positive but not to worry because alot of the time there is nothing wrong. Try to stay calm, I know easier said than done, it will all work out.
Avatar universal
Not trying to scare you ladies but my last pregnancy I had a daughter born with trisomy 13 which is different than down syndrome but its still one of the 3 trisomies. Throughout my pregnancy they never did any genetic testing & I was never offered any cause I was 20. My doc told me my baby was measuring small she said it could be because my baby is part Hispanic. I didn't feel much movement with that pregnancy either but I found out after I had her she had severe trisomy 13. I wish I could have prepared for it or would have known before her birth just so it wasn't such a shock to me & all my family. I got a genetic test called maternit21 for this pregnancy. I'm thankful it came back negative to all trisomies. If your concerned ask your doc what other options you have IG you want to know for sure. I'm so sorry I know you must be so nervous & worrying. Your in my prayers. *hugs
Avatar universal
My doctor told me those tests have a lot of false positives. I would try not to worry about it too much. Chances are your baby is okay!
13167 tn?1327197724
Well, it's not really a "false positive" if you are given a 1 in 80 chance of something and then it doesn't happen.  

In fact,  if you have a 1 in 80 chance of anything,  you can rest assured it's very unlikely to happen.  
Avatar universal
That's what im worried about. Im not showing hardly feel baby. So i was concerned about growth.  My Last ultrasound was at 12 weeks.  I have just never been through this.  My daughter was perfect.  Never had any issues.  Im trying to keep postive but the thought of something being wrong scares me. I honstely dont know what i will do if there is. Im torn, sad, angry, scared. All these emotions. I just want to know for sure.  :(
Popular Resources
Get information and tips on how to help you choose the right place to deliver your baby.
Get the facts on how twins and multiples are formed and your chance of carrying more than one baby at a time.
Learn about the risks and benefits of circumcision.
What to expect during the first hours after delivery.
Learn about early screening and test options for your pregnancy.
Learn about testing and treatment for GBS bacterium.