Pregnancy: Social Community

Can your OB drug test you without your consent?

I am currently 26 weeks pregnant and have been seeing the doctor I am at now since I was 22 weeks. At my last appointment I had an emergency ultrasound and a urine sample was taken. I did not know that my doctor was going to used that sample to do a drug screen. I never consented one. I only knew once the results popped up in my chart. Of course everything he tested for came back negative as I do not abuse drugs but I did not sign anything consenting him to test me and I am very offended that he may have thought I was doing drugs even though I told him I am not. I know when you get admitted to have the baby you sign a consent form which is okay with me because like I said I don't do drugs. But shouldn't he have asked my consent first before randomly testing me?
They absolutely are supposed to at least let you know what tests they are doing. However, apparently drug screens no longer apply. Especially for patients on state insurance "Medicaid", when I worked for the hospital I saw drs FREQUENTLY drug test w/o their knowledge. When I tried to include the code in the visit line, the lab supervisor called me personally and told me to remove it, even though the test was performed and in the patients chart. Usually,patients get an EOB from their insurance that details charges, but with state insurance, patients do not. So they never know.
They don't need your consent. They are checking for the safety of the child. Many people say they don't do drugs that unfortunately do, they can't take your word for it. Sorry you felt offended, but I wouldn't take it personal.
I don't know where your from but i was told that in the state I'm from it's the law that every pregnant woman gets drug tested at every appointment and if their tests come back positive for more than half the pregnancy they get the baby taken away when it's born and the doctor doesn't have to tell you.
My doc office does a drug test without consent everytime. If it comes back that there are drugs in your system you will be dismissed.
If it came back negative then what's the big deal? They are looking out for your child.
Yes I seen that on my chart too I Think they should tell you
Get information and tips on how to help you choose the right place to deliver your baby.
Get the facts on how twins and multiples are formed and your chance of carrying more than one baby at a time.
Learn about the risks and benefits of circumcision.
What to expect during the first hours after delivery.
Learn about early screening and test options for your pregnancy.
Learn about testing and treatment for GBS bacterium.