Expecting the 2nd addition

Mom's, i am expecting my second baby right now im about 20 weeks. My son is 1 year and 3 months. I have no clue how to make the transition between his crib and a big boy bed!im in desperate need of advice! Not only am i nervous for the switch, but i dont want him to fall out or start getting up in the middle of the night... help!!
Girl I'd wait it out longer i transitioned my daughter around that age and now i can not get her to go to her bed she insists on sleeping with me now in the "big girl bed" she calls it... Unless your baby is trying to climb out i would hold off until he/she becomes excited to get a "new bed"...
Start by laying with them..and cut time you stay slowly.
I am 16 and im expecting feels a little weird but i can get the hang of everything

I would not start till he is trying to climb out of the crib by his self. I have a 6 year old and a 1  1/2 year old and I'm due July 7 with my 3rd baby. I'm not trying to rush my 1 1/2 year old out of the crib. I'm going to do it when he starts to cilmb out, like I did with my 6 year old.
Pediatricians recommend baby is close to 2yo before making the transition. Mostly as a safety precaution. I have 4 children and the earliest I transitioned was 20 months, it was very difficult. She constantly got out of bed and fell asleep on the floor because she would play if she woke up in the middle of the night. I was always nervous she would get hurt. I'd wait longer.
My son is 15 months & nowhere close to trying to climb out of his crib yet so we are not rushing it. But I found some really cool ideas on pinterest where ppl lay the mattress on the floor! It looks really nice, saves room AND money, & the kids like it a lot!
My daughter is 18 months old and we just transition her to a big bed. What we did was take the mattress from the crib and placed it on the floor. We got rails to kinda make it feel like her crib. She's was a champ. She now sleeps in her twin bed but it's still on the floor. And we still use the rails. She does amazing. Naptime she always gets up and plays for a bit before going back to her bed to fall asleep. Night time we never have an issues. She takes her bottle and then rolls over. In the morning she will get up and play a bit but usually will just lay there until we get her.
If your son is only 14 months I'd maybe wait until after 15-16 months. You still have time before your baby is due. We are in the same boat reusing the crib. I'm due the first few days into August so I think we picked a good time to transition
I'm due September 2. This helped me too. But my inlaws insisted on buying a toddler bed. It's a firetruck and sits on the floor. 1st nap time in it and get did fantastic! Now to try bed time.
We transitioned to a twin bed for my 2yr old and put rails on the sides so he wouldn't fall out. He sleeps MUCH better than he did in his crib and he loved that he got a big boy bed. We also let him pick his bedding. That made him a little more excited.
I moved my oldest to a twin bed at 16 months - we needed the crib for my son who was 4 months. We got bumpers that go under the fitted sheet so she didn't roll out off Amazon.  Her bed wouldn't accommodate the standard bed rails also these travel great.  I started by putting my daughter in the bed just for her naps.  I'd move her after she fell asleep and after a couple weeks we did the same for bedtime.  We also implemented a solid bedtime routine - diaper change, Pj's, teeth brushing, book, prayers and bed.  We tried not to deviate from this at all.  After a couple more weeks we started putting her to bed awake.  This took a bit longer for her to adjust to but we introduced a nightlight and made sure there were no distractions outside her room. We did also put a baby gate at her door to keep her in. After a couple of slightly painful nights we've had no issues and its been a full year.  We'll be doing the same process with my son (he'll  be about 2) shortly as number 3 will be here shortly!
I should add that we made sure to get a bed that was very low to the ground.  The bed has 2 single drawers underneath and the mattress on top - no box spring.  She's never fallen out with the bumpers though.

You are reading content posted in the Pregnancy: Social Community

Get information and tips on how to help you choose the right place to deliver your baby.
Get the facts on how twins and multiples are formed and your chance of carrying more than one baby at a time.
Learn about the risks and benefits of circumcision.
What to expect during the first hours after delivery.
Learn about early screening and test options for your pregnancy.
Learn about testing and treatment for GBS bacterium.