Pregnancy: Social Community

Home Birth

Pregnant with my first child and I want to have a home birth. I don't know anyone who has had one and would love some advice. My boyfriend is completely supportive but our family seem to be a bit freaked out by it. I don't know what to do.
My sister had a home birth and said it was absolutely amazing for her. My only worry is if there is a problem with my baby. When I had my second son in hospital and he needed immediate medical intervention using all sorts of equipment as he couldnt breathe. If I were at home I dread to think wat could have happened. Definitely talk it through with ur doc if its something u wanna do
I've had two wonderful home-births! Your first step is to find a midwife that you enjoy and trust. She'll guide you through everything you need as your pregnancy progresses. Good luck! Start reading Ina May's Guide to Childbirth. It made up my mind and my family's too. My mom and I watched The Business of Being Born. That helped explain it too.
Thanks ladies. I do worry about if something happens with the baby but I live really close to the hospital. I am going to be talk a midwife this week. I really want my family to be on board. The business of being born where would I find that?
I have a friend who Is a midwife For home and natural births. She had All five of her kids At home and She recommends It to Everyone She meets That Is pregnant lol.  I'm honestly a chicken So I Don't feel Like I can do That as much as I'd love to be able to. But I get bad anxiety So I think It would stress me out. Just talk to Some midwives, weigh out All The pros n cons and talk with Ur family about It. But It's your baby and your body So ultimately It's your decision.:)
I no alot of people who have had wonderful home births.....but also its a little scary because if something went wrong you would have to rush to the hospital.... They do have birthing centers that are normally almost connected to the hospital or across the street so that you have the at home experience with a midwife in a normal bed but if anything happened the hospital is right there
"Close" to a hospital isn't good enough.  If something goes really wrong,  it doesn't matter if you're 8 minutes from the hospital or 80 miles.  If you're not IN the hospital if your uterus ruptures,  or your baby's chord is suddenly clamped,  or your baby flips to breech during delivery and delivers the entire body but the head gets stuck,  8 minutes is death.

I do agree that midwives are great,  and going natural is really great,  but do it in a hospital where you can save your baby's life if need be.
Get information and tips on how to help you choose the right place to deliver your baby.
Get the facts on how twins and multiples are formed and your chance of carrying more than one baby at a time.
Learn about the risks and benefits of circumcision.
What to expect during the first hours after delivery.
Learn about early screening and test options for your pregnancy.
Learn about testing and treatment for GBS bacterium.