MedHelp.org will cease operations on May 31, 2024. It has been our pleasure to join you on your health journey for the past 30 years. For more info, click here.

Quitting Smoking

I have a friend who recently found out she is pregnant. She is a heavy smoker. And is finding it impossible to quit. I was a smoker before i got pregnant, but didn't have a hard time quitting so i really don't know how to help her. Can anyone share some tips on how you quit smoking? And maybe some stories of babies who had a smoking mother, she seems to think it won't hurt the baby because so many people claim to have smoked the entire time and had healthy babies.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Just let her know to be careful sometimes quoting cold turkey can cause miscarriage because of stress/withdrawal
Helpful - 0
I just found out today I was pregnant and I smoke. Just tell your friend to imagine being closed up and cannot breathe. I hope that helps. Put herself where her baby is...
Helpful - 0
Its mind over matter...i smoked about a pack a day and quit cold turkey the moment i found out...i had a miscarriage in april so.when i found out i was expecting again i wasnt taking any chance of losing another!
Helpful - 0
I've never been a smoker but I'm sure if you Google the affects of smoking while pregnant you will find plenty of stories and ways to help her. I'm sure there will some helpful ladies on her as well.  Good luck
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Pregnancy: Social Community

Get information and tips on how to help you choose the right place to deliver your baby.
Get the facts on how twins and multiples are formed and your chance of carrying more than one baby at a time.
Learn about the risks and benefits of circumcision.
What to expect during the first hours after delivery.
Learn about early screening and test options for your pregnancy.
Learn about testing and treatment for GBS bacterium.