a question about Subway.

Is it safe to eat a turkey sandwich? I read that you're supposed to avoid cold cuts, though, but I'm kind of craving roasted turkey but don't know how to get it safely in my diet. I know the tuna is kinda iffy too, isn't it?
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Its safe to eat cold cuts as long as they are heated up before you eat them that's all
Helpful - 0
Thanks!
Helpful - 0
Hi there, I just explain to them I'm pregnant and it's an odd request but if they can heat the deli meat in the microwave for me. They're usually more than willing to accommodate.
Helpful - 0
I'm on baby #2 & haven't heated anything and so far so good ha I'll have to look into that! There's so many "donts" with pregnancy.
Helpful - 0
the reason the say to avoid cold cuts os they can carry listeria and thay can be dangerous while pregnant, however, its rare. Tuna you can have just not to much throughout the week. You want to limit your consumption. Its albacore tuna you CANNOT have as it has high levels of mercury.
Helpful - 0
Contracting that is really rare. They advise against it because if you do get it,  the outcome is either fatal for baby or baby will have long term health issues. You can have up to 12 oz of light tuna a week.
Helpful - 0
I have asked a number of people in medical field an what I have been told is its ok if its not everyday. If its a hot dog or bologna it needs to be heated.
Helpful - 0
Get your sandwich toasted :)
Helpful - 0
I don't really think the toasting at subway gets the meat hot enough to kill bacteria. Like another lady said, ask them to heat it in the microwave till it steams. My midwife told me that usually the deli meat you get cut at the deli counter is a safer option than deli meat from a restaurant. Its crazy bc a lot of pregnant ladies crave fresh sandwiches and sushi!
Helpful - 0
My doctor and midwife said you only have to microwave for 10 seconds to kill the Listera. Sometimes the meat is still cold and doesn't even taste like its been heated up!
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Pregnancy: Social Community

Get information and tips on how to help you choose the right place to deliver your baby.
Get the facts on how twins and multiples are formed and your chance of carrying more than one baby at a time.
Learn about the risks and benefits of circumcision.
What to expect during the first hours after delivery.
Learn about early screening and test options for your pregnancy.
Learn about testing and treatment for GBS bacterium.