birthing plans...

I have decided I do not want an epidural. All of the risks outweighs the benefits in my mind. Therefore I am considering sticking to just Demerol via IV. I have a very high pain tolerance so I think this will be enough for me. However, my best friend also just recently graduated school as a massage therapist and studied a lot about reflexology and acupressure. Which is known go be a great form of pain relief. I planned on having her in the room with me anyway so I think that if the demerol doesn't quite do enough I will just have her perform one of those two methods. Has anyone else used acupressure or reflexology as their form of pain relief for labor? What was your experience?
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Bump
Helpful - 0
I know someone that was given demeral when she was in labor and she was so out of it that every contraction she had she screamed she had no control over her body.
Helpful - 0
My mother had demerol with my brother at 8 cm and it completely stopped her labor. They had to give her pitocin to get her to a 10.
Helpful - 0
You can try using gas and air instead.
Helpful - 0
I used determination, good breathing and positioning techniques, time spent in water, perineal massage, absolute confidence in myself and my midwife,  and more stubborn determination. No drugs. It was really hard but frankly it was amazing. I absolutely cannot wait to do it again. Acupressure and other holistic methods really aren't my thing but I say whatever you think is right for you - go for it! But if you're having a hospital or birthing center birth you'll want to talk with your provider and the facility about their regulations - sometimes they can have issues with that sort of thing. I know some places that don't even like to have doulas attend births, because liability or something.
Helpful - 0
I'm having a hospital birth and my friend isn't a doula or anything. She's just a massage therapist who studied a good bit in the areas of acupressure and reflexology. She was gonna be in the room with me anyways when I give birth cuz I want her there. So if she can massage me during labor to help ease pain while in there with me, why not! I rather that than an epidural. And I've had demeral for other pain management reasons before and my body tolerates it well. Its really the only strong pain med I can handle. Morphine and me DON'T mix, haha, so I'm hoping it will still work even during labor. I'm gonna talk to my Dr at my next appointment as well and see what he thinks. If he is against demerol, then it looks like it'll be all natural with some massage therapy to relax and help!!
Helpful - 0
I had a great all natural experience. If you have a high pain tolerance try to go without any drugs. Anything you take is likely to transfer to the baby too.... Research if there are any risks in that. Good Luck! All natural is the most empowering thing I've ever experienced and I was so happy to have a wide awake alert healthy baby!
Helpful - 0
Ask your Dr about Fentanyl.  It's in the same class as Demerit but less transfer to baby and quicker time it's out of your system. Might be enough for you! Either way good luck!
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Pregnancy: Social Community

Get information and tips on how to help you choose the right place to deliver your baby.
Get the facts on how twins and multiples are formed and your chance of carrying more than one baby at a time.
Learn about the risks and benefits of circumcision.
What to expect during the first hours after delivery.
Learn about early screening and test options for your pregnancy.
Learn about testing and treatment for GBS bacterium.