Pregnancy: Social Community

bumper on crib ? leads to sids

I've hear that having a bumper on the crib has an increase for sids?

My little sister sewed the bumpers herself, special for baby. I want to use them, but sids is a scary thot

How many use bumpers and how many don't ?
I don't use bumpers or blankets.  For a newborn the safest way to sleep is on the back and a wearable blanket.  (Sleep sack).  Nothing should be in the crib With them.
We used the bumper that came in our crib set as a dust ruffle around the bottom of the daybed that was in the baby's room.  (It was in there because it was the bed in that room before the baby came and we didn't have anywhere else to put it when we made the room into our son's room.  It helped a lot to have the bumper around the bottom of the bed, because it looked too huge and too adult in there otherwise)  You could do a similar thing and tie the bumper below the crib, on the outside, lower than the level of the mattress and nowhere the baby could reach the ties or the bumper itself.  It's sweet of your sister to sew it, but that doesn't mean you should increase the baby's smothering risk or SIDS chances.
I have heard horrible stories about bumpers and sids. I will not be using one, neither did my sister with her 2 kids. Better safe than sorry
Never heard of that before..whats the link with bumpers and sids?
From the American Academy of Pediatrics

"Bumper pads should not be used in cribs. There is no evidence that bumper pads prevent injuries, and there is a potential risk of suffocation, strangulation or entrapment."

More at: http://www.aap.org/en-us/about-the-aap/aap-press-room/pages/AAP-Expands-Guidelines-for-Infant-Sleep-Safety-and-SIDS-Risk-Reduction.aspx#sthash.KVwhyzAs.dpuf
I used it with my first but not till he was like a yr. Why do they even make them if you shouldn't be using them?
Probably because people buy them.
You can buy a breathable bumper. They are kind of expensive though. I bought one for my first and will use it for my second. It works great.
Nothing in the crib with baby white baby is little. Just sheets on the mattress
^^*While* baby is little!
I didn't use bumpers until my baby started rolling he wpuld get his legs and arms stuck between the pallets of the crib lol but I didn't use the full on material ones you can buy breathable bumpers it's just plain white and kind of like mesh so if the baby does roll and bury his/her face in them they can still breathe fine they just won't get stuck haha use to crack me up when he got stuck the look on his face was priceless!
I bought a breathable bumper. My son could roll really early on and he would get his legs stuck and wake up screaming. I wouldn't use and regular bumper though.
they say to use the mesh bumpers until they are older
Get information and tips on how to help you choose the right place to deliver your baby.
Get the facts on how twins and multiples are formed and your chance of carrying more than one baby at a time.
Learn about the risks and benefits of circumcision.
What to expect during the first hours after delivery.
Learn about early screening and test options for your pregnancy.
Learn about testing and treatment for GBS bacterium.