MedHelp.org will cease operations on May 31, 2024. It has been our pleasure to join you on your health journey for the past 30 years. For more info, click here.

sleeping position

So i was plannin on back sleeping then my friend told me what if the baby chokes now im scared to have him sleep on his back im 22 weeks so i got awhile but im just really scared about it what should i do?
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Yea, sleeping recommendations for babies changed in 1994 with the "back to sleep campaign", which showed a way lower risk of sids when babies sleep on their back. Decreased risk by 50%.
Helpful - 0
Sleeping recommandations change with time and studies. Years ago, the recommandations was to put newborns on their side. At one time it was on their belly. But now they recommend only on their backs to limit the risk of newborn death. No pillows or anything to hold them in place. Just put them on their back for day 1. If i can reasure you, look it up with a google research.
Helpful - 0
Pediatricians recommend nothing in the crib except a crib sheet. No pillows, blankets, or stuffed toys. Baby on its back.

And OBs recommend you not sleep on your back after about halfway through the 2nd trimester because your uterus can put pressure on a vein that runs near your spine, slowing blood flow to the lower part of your body, including the placenta. It's not a big deal once in awhile, but it's recommended to sleep on your left side as much as possible.
Helpful - 0
Ooo lol i was about to panic...well my mom said that its better if you put them on their side and put like a pillow behind their back for support, its a baby pillow
Helpful - 0
i was talking about the baby sleeping on his back sorry made this when i was half asleep
Helpful - 0
I didnt know you werent supposed to sleep on your back while pregnant, why is it bad?
Helpful - 0
If you are talking about you sleeping on your back now then yes you shouldn't do it. If you are talking about when your baby is born then back sleeping is the preferred  way a baby should sleep. If the baby spits up and instinctively  will turn his/her head. If your baby is on their tummy and spits up they have a higher chance of choking on their own spit up. It's hard for them to move their head while on their tummys. Always lay baby on their back :)
Helpful - 0
I have problem sleeping on my side.
I can only sleep on my back I have been doing it the whole pragnancy and I'm 38 weeks. Just using a lot of pillows under my head and shoulders
Helpful - 0
Idk if the baby chokes but I know the belly will put pressure on your inferior vena cavalry and would impair perfusion. You could feel dizzy and lightheaded and I guess somehow it will affect the baby too.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Pregnancy: Social Community

Get information and tips on how to help you choose the right place to deliver your baby.
Get the facts on how twins and multiples are formed and your chance of carrying more than one baby at a time.
Learn about the risks and benefits of circumcision.
What to expect during the first hours after delivery.
Learn about early screening and test options for your pregnancy.
Learn about testing and treatment for GBS bacterium.