so upsetting

I lost my job cause they wouldn't let miss half of day of work cause I had an appointment Wednesday os that even fair man
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I'm going through this pregnancy with just my mom. We stay with friends because of our situation.  I lost my job because I had to go on bed rest and my mom lost her job because our roommates refused to take her to work. Now I'm stuck struggling trying to by everything my son needs because we're down to the wire on money now =/
Helpful - 0
That just sad and hurtful i just started today and lost it the same day,  im so sorry your going through that love i pray things get better for you and your mom your in my prayers
Helpful - 0
They can't allow you not to go to your prenatal appointments, it's illegal. Did they fire you or did you quit?
Helpful - 0
He just fired me :'(
Helpful - 0
I wasn't leaving anytime soon i was working for my baby shower
Helpful - 0
U can fight that its illegal to do that I think you should try fighting it my job was trying to fire me because im on medical leave and they would lose every paper I would give it to them
Helpful - 0
How can i fight it
Helpful - 0
I would start the process of a lawsuit. I also had the same issues when I tried to take my maternity leave from my job and they were giving the run around for about 3 weeks. Hr kept blaming the insurance company and vice versa. I finally told all of them that I was going to the biggest pain in the ads for them if they didn't get their s*** together and I was going to tell every single person that was hired within those dates that they're insurance they were told that they were covered under was false because that's what I was told and within the same week I had my maternity leave all sorted out. It's illegal to discriminate against pregnant women but some companies do make it very difficult to the point where most people probably just give up from the stress. Don't give in on this.
Helpful - 0
Go see am attorney and find out what your options are.  
Helpful - 0
This is 100% illegal!! They CAN NOT FIRE YOU if you are pregnant because you go to a dr appointment or your on bed rest! They csn and will get in and lot of trouble! I Would Definitely Have A Free Consultation With A Lawyer!!
Helpful - 0
It's rough but I don't think there are any laws protecting a woman from missing work due to prenatal appointments or any doctor's appointment.  I would check your company's/employer's policies on absences.  Some places don't allow you to take more than an allotted amount of time regardless of the circumstances unless you've applied for disability or family medical leave.  

What state are you in?  Some states have different laws.  
Helpful - 0
Saw you are in Florida.  Does your employer have 50 or more employees and have you worked there a full year?
Helpful - 0
Florida is not a great state for pregnant women:

http://www.wjhg.com/home/headlines/You-Cant-Discriminate-Against-Pregnant-Women-240178221.html

The above is information on a bill they were trying to pass in January to add pregnant women to the list of those you can not discriminate against but it wasn't added that I can see.  And in states where it is, they can site other reasons for firing you and get away with it.

Your best bet is if you have worked full time for a year or more and the employer has over 50 employees to work with the family medical leave act.  Lawsuits are expensive but this route could result in getting your job back.  You can contact the US Labor Department and state your claim that they violated FMLA (and you do not have to request FMLA if the above conditions are met) and they will investigate your claim for free.  That could send a message to your employer and they may reinstate you.  

good luck
Helpful - 0
Oh dang, I see you just started today and got fired today.  I'm pretty sure FMLA requirements won't be met.  good luck
Helpful - 0
Yeah the fmla wouldn't happen for me cause it was just a temp job and it would be done before i gave birth even if i wasnt able to do the fmla is there any other way i get some type of something  
Helpful - 0
Ill probably go to morgan to morgan how ever you say it
Helpful - 0
Yea i remember you from your last post and i commented on your concerns. Mama I'm so sorry to hear that. :'( im not sure of that is illegal or not because some jobs give you a probation period don't want you to make any special request until you have worked for three months. But cmon u are 6months pregnant. They can see you wouldve needed days for appt. U couldnt have just left early or come into work later. U are giving them more than a 24hr request so they r being very unreasonable.

I think u should go above thier head and see who u can talk to at that company. If not look for a lawyer that will take ur case or at least consult w. U. Look for a lawyer w. Free consultation n maybe one who doesnt look for upfront payment if this can be a case.

U have to take this seriously because no place should take advantage of ur well being. U need to provide for ur family...

Just keep the faith dont give up no matter what u do. Weither its fighting for this job, getting a lawyer, or just looking elsewhere for work. U will be blessed in devine favor from above.

Keeping u in my prayers.

Helpful - 0
I think in my last post i said women are more understanding also, what a prick! See if u could go above him. Whose the manager above him? Or the owner? Or look for a female manager that could support u. Show them you are not a child they need to take u serious. Dont threaten. Dont beg. Just try hard and explain yourself. The situation, and the disappointment. On the inside stay optimistic.
Helpful - 0
Probably not hon.  Unless the legal advice is free, it wouldn't be worth it.  With not even one day working for them and it being a temp job, they are pretty protected from letting you go.  

Could you try again and make your drs. appointments on your off hours?
Helpful - 0
Smallbby thank my love yes i am gonna fight its do unfair and i will dig deeper into this i can't let it GO
Speaial man ugh ima look
Helpful - 0
What kind of schedule did you agree to? Did you inform them of existing appointments before you accepted the position? How much notice did they have between you telling them about the appointment and them posting the schedule? How exactly does a prenatal appointment last half a work day?
It might not feel fair, but it's perfectly legal. Your first day on a temp job, you're most certainly an at-will employee. They don't need to have a good reason or any reason at all to let you go.
Helpful - 0
Id still contact HR. If you can provide a doctors note, they cant fire you for it. Its illegal to discriminate due to pregnancy. Im temp too but for apartment leasing, as longs as i provided them with documentation they were okay. Were temp so were on a on call basis, we dont have to work. Definitely consult with somebody!
Helpful - 0
Unfortunately this is not illegal from my knowledge. Unless you were in the ER for an emergency it is deffinetly not illegal and even then. You didn't even techniqually start and most deffinetly didn't make it through you 30 day probation. I am sorry this is really unfortunate and hopefully you can find something else. Some people have no compassion.
Helpful - 0
The only catch they may get you is the 90 day probationary period, but then id feel there decision was based you being pregnant. Like i said im temp too, but temp to hire. I actually had a property manager tell me to contact her after the babys born that shed love to hire me but not right now because id jus be going on maternity leave shortly.
Helpful - 0
2

You are reading content posted in the Pregnancy: Social Community

Get information and tips on how to help you choose the right place to deliver your baby.
Get the facts on how twins and multiples are formed and your chance of carrying more than one baby at a time.
Learn about the risks and benefits of circumcision.
What to expect during the first hours after delivery.
Learn about early screening and test options for your pregnancy.
Learn about testing and treatment for GBS bacterium.