Pregnancy and Parenting: Multiples Community

Chances of twins

I'm an only child, and my mother was a singleton (the only one and the youngest of her siblings), but twins and triplets are found all over my maternal family (my grandmother was one of 19 children if that's any indication - twins and triplets all over the place!).  I am the only maternal side cousin who hasn't had children yet and EVERY ONE of my maternal cousins had twins in their first pregnancy.  Additionally, I'm 38 now, so may have to look at fertility treatments, and I'm overweight and extremely tall (6 foot).  From what I've found out, those are all factors that could increase my likelihood of multiples, but I'm just wondering if anyone has any idea how much?  I know the general frequency is around 3% of births - I'm just wondering how much of an impact all these factors could have.
Here is from another website.  Maybe you've read it already.  It tosses out some statistics.

___________________

Identical twins do not run in families, but fraternal twins can.  Because fraternal twins happen by mom releasing two eggs, the dad's side of the family doesn't come into play.

Some statistics. A woman who is herself a fraternal twin is 2.5 times as likely to have twins as someone from the general population. A mother of fraternal twins is 3-4 times more likely to have another set of fraternal twins. A woman who is an identical twin is no more likely to have twins compared to someone else.

Why do fraternal twins run in the family but not identical twins? It makes sense once we understand the differences between the two types of twins.

Identical twins come from the same fertilized egg and are sometimes called monozygotic. What this means is that they share all the same genes and DNA. The frequency of identical twins is the same everywhere, about four in every 1000 births.  How can they come from the same egg? Sometime before the 8th day after the egg and sperm meet, the fertilized egg splits into two. These two "halves" then grow into identical twins.

This is different than what happens with fraternal twins. Fraternal twins come from two different eggs and are sometimes called dizygotic. They are really like any two siblings who happen to be born at the same time.

What happens with fraternal twins is that the mom releases more than one egg at a time. (In other words, she ovulates more than once per menstrual cycle). Twins result from two eggs getting fertilized and growing in the uterus at the same time. Around twelve pairs of fraternal twins are born every 1000 births.

Because they come from different sperm-egg pairs, they don't look any more alike than any other siblings. This is also why half of fraternal twins are a boy and a girl.

OK, so what does this have to do with genetics? Fraternal twins result from two ovulations, while identical twins result from the splitting of one embryo into two. Ovulation is a normal process that involves many genes. Embryo splitting, on the other hand, appears to occur randomly by chance.

In other words, your genes can affect whether you have fraternal twins because genes are involved in the process of ovulation.  Identical twins are random and so genes don't have much influence at all.

The genes that cause a woman to have fraternal twins are unknown. One theory is that hormones are important. For example, the hormone FSH or follicle-stimulating hormone may be higher in mothers of twins.  FSH is necessary for egg growth and is a commonly used fertility drug.  Mothers of fraternal twins tend to be taller, and have earlier and shorter menstrual cycles.  These traits could also be due to higher hormone levels.

What else can affect whether you'll have fraternal twins? Ethnic background is one (although this is genetics as well). For example, a woman of African origin is twice as likely to have twins compared to a Caucasian friend. She is four times as likely as her Asian friend.

Other factors that can increase the chances of having a fraternal twin are:

Mother's age. A 35-year-old mother is four times more likely than a woman under the age of 20 to have twins. After age 35, however, the chance of having twins naturally decreases.

Nutrition. Women who eat poorly are less likely to have twins. Tall and overweight women, on the other hand, are more likely to have twins.

Previous births. Does't everyone know someone who only wanted two kids but ended up having twins for the second pregnancy? This is because the twin rate goes up after a previous birth.

Fertility drugs. Different treatments will vary, but on average, 20% of live births after fertility treatments are fraternal twins. (This is why women over the age 35 actually have a high chance of having twins; they are much more likely to use fertility drugs).

So, if you are a black, 35-year-old woman you are 16 times more likely to have a twin than a twenty-year-old Asian woman. And if the mom-to-be is a fraternal twin herself, then the chances go up by another 2.5 times to 40 times more likely!  (Add in good nutrition and being tall and the chances go even higher.)

Get information and tips on how to help you choose the right place to deliver your baby.
Get the facts on how twins and multiples are formed and your chance of carrying more than one baby at a time.
Learn about the risks and benefits of circumcision.
What to expect during the first hours after delivery.
Learn about early screening and test options for your pregnancy.
Learn about testing and treatment for GBS bacterium.