MedHelp.org will cease operations on May 31, 2024. It has been our pleasure to join you on your health journey for the past 30 years. For more info, click here.

10 weeks and losing weight

i'm confused. i'm 10 weeks pregnant, and i started gaining a few pounds maybe 3 weeks ago, but now i'm losing weight. this happened to a friend of mine when she was pregnant... and we're both overweight, so i'm wondering if this is normal or not.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I always lose weight in the beggining of my pregnancies (I have 4 kid's) with 2 I lost signifcantly and with the other 2 I still lost, but not as much. my Dr says it is pretty normal esecially if you were overweight to begin with. all of my babies have ended up a healthy and normal weight, as long as you are eatting healthy I would'nt worry about it too much. with my last baby I was really sick and lost 23 pounds then only gained back 15 for the whole pregnancy I was still 8 pounds less when I had her and she was 7lbs 8oz and perfectly healthy! good luck and try not to stress!  
Helpful - 0
It is quite normal to lose or gain a little weight at first. Because of the hormone changes in your body it can cause you to lose weight. If you lose too much and your Dr. thinks it's a problem they will give you something to help with that. But as long as baby is ok, your fine :D Congrats.
Helpful - 0
I didn't gain anything until I was about 24 weeks pregnant.  My doctor said that if you have the excess weight somewhere else on your body, your body just might pull it from there.  I am not overweight, but I am heavier than "the norm" and I lost weight off my butt and legs and it all went to my belly....
Helpful - 0
I was 135lbs and I'm now 18wks and only up by 1lb. Everyone is different. Between feeling sick, eating more healthy and so on many people loose weight in the first trimeter which is until week 13 and sometimes even a few weeks more. I wouldn't worry too much. Baby at this point only weighs a few ounces so the only weight gain that happens is from boobs and fat.
Helpful - 0
i had my first ultrasound the day before yesterday actually, and everythings normal. i thought i might be losing weight because i'm eating better than i had before i was pregnant
Helpful - 0
Hi i'm 11 weeks at first i gained three pounds then lost 4 due to nausea, and now i'm up 4.  My doctor gave me zofran for the nausea that's when i was able to gain the 4 lbs.  Everyone gains weight at a different pace during pregnancy I think the important thing is your overall pregnancy weight gain.  From what i've read people who are overweight tend to loose a few pounds in the first trimester i'm not sure why though.  I was 135 when I got pregnant and i still lost weight so i don't think that matters.  As long as the baby is still growing everything is fine :).  Are you nauseous a lot?  maybe you could ask about zofran, I tried accupuncture, accupressure and preggie pops and still lost weight.  I love zofran :).  Have you had an ultrasound yet?  
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Pregnancy Community