Pregnancy Community

5 weeks pregnant with excruciating rib pain

I am 5 weeks pregnant. I have had excruciating rib pain from a violent chronic cough I've had for 2 months now. Before I found out I was pregnant, I was given a prescription for Percocet 5/325 once a day prn. I figured that I can't take that anymore since it is a controlled substance. I have been taking 6 to 8 Tylenol every 6 to 8 hours around the clock. When it really hurts, I always consider going to the ER but never do. I don't know what to do. I cry all day long from this pain. I am not enjoying this happy time in my life. What should I do?
Is there a way to get rid of the chronic cough?  Otherwise, your pain will always be there. Unfortunately, there isn't much you can take when you're pregnant.  It would probably be a good idea to get with your doctor and try to find a solution to this.  
I have been on two sets of antibiotics and my lungs are clear. My OB said to try Zantac for the possibility of acid reflux. The pain is just tremendous. There has to be something stronger then Tylenol to take and is taking 6 to 8 pills of Tylenol a day even OK?
You may have cracked a rib or popped them out of place. Good luck to you
Are you really taking 6-8 tylenol pills every 6 hours or so?  Or is that a typo?  He max dosage of Tylenol is 3000 mg/24 hours and each pill is 500mg (I think).  If that's really what you're taking you're exceeding the max dose x 3 or 4.  That would not be good for your liver.  If this is the case I would go to the ER or a walk-in clinic soon.  Sounds like it's not doing much for the pain and the stress on your body can harm your baby.  There are stronger pain meds that can be prescribed during pregnancy and you really need to get to the bottom of what's causing this cough.
Oops, I just read that you are taking the recommended dosage.  Regardless, I'd get in to be seen by a doctor soon.
Just a thought, have you moved recently?  Mold in your house/apartment could be causing your cough.  It's the right time of year for it to become rampant and it can grow in places you can't see like under the carpet near doors/windows, behind the washing machine, under the sink, etc.  Anywhere that moisture collects.  It's worth checking out anyway.  
I told the nurse practicioner at my OB how much Tylenol I was taking. She said it was fine. I am going to see the Doctor on Wednesday. I just can't handle this pain until then. Ever feel like no one will help you? That's where I am at and with the hormones and pain, I'm becoming increasingly depressed.

I am trying Zantac for the first time today. Since my lungs are clear and the antibiotics haven't worked, the Docs think it could be acid reflux. Haven't moved recently and my son also has this cough as well, last I checked acid reflux isnt contagious but it could be something different so I'll try the Zantac none the less.