Pregnancy Community

Acetaminophen use linked to ADHD and Autism

Hi all,

I'm only posting this because this is a new concerning topic that I think everyone should know about.  There was a Danish study recently published which linked prenatal exposure of acetaminophen (Tylenol) to increased risks of developing ADHD/Autism.  Please don't take my word for it though and avoid using it altogether since the benefits outweigh the risks if you have a fever, but I encourage everyone to google it and do your own research.
Dosing plays a big role. If you use more than directed your risk goes up. Unless you have a fever that needs bright down, use sparingly! (I have looked into this quite a bit as I had gallbladder attacks while pregnant last time and used acetominophen when I was in horrible pain)
Exactly ^ also they blame Autism on everything these days. Theres another study where they can "link" Autism to moms consuming too much fast food while pregnant.  Just use as needed, not more than necessary :)
Tylenol was introduced in the 80s which correlates with the sudden, skyrocketing increase in children being diagnosed with ADHD/Autism.  Just saying.
Oh god. First vaccines, now this. What are they going to blame next? My sister has autism and its definitely not from all these things they say cause it!
@missb94
I feel you. One of my only friends in elementary is autistic, and while I know it's been hard for him and his family, they don't look to blame. They just live day by day and cherish him. Our society is too focused on having reasons for everything!
Lol, poor old paracetamol - causes everything these days! My little boy must doomed. Baby daddy is autistic and has ADHD too and they're both hereditary apparently, can't say for sure that my son will be born with either or both of those conditions - but we're positive my bfs daughter has asperger's so we think there could be a chance. It doesn't bother me in the slightest though. Gonna love him no matter what.
I know guys, a lot of "studies" done out there are nonsense.  I also have a genetic predisposition towards Autism and my husband has ADHD, but if you bother reading about this particular study there's no denying the evidence that it's linked.  I mean, if you look back in medical history, there's been a slew of medications that were said to be safe to take while pregnant, which, later on turned out to be not true.   I took acetaminophen/paracetamol practically every day while pregnant and i so wish that this info had been available to me then since I now have a daughter with severe Autism.  I don't know, maybe my daughter would have had autism regardless if i had taken Tylenol or not, but I'm posting this now because i wish someone would've done the same for me.  
Actually the spike in Autism and diagnosis increased during the 70s, not the 80s. I worked the department of mental health for the state of missouri for 2 1/2yrs and specialized in the care of individuals diagnosed with Autism. Autism is most prominent and rampant within the U.s., with very few cases over seas or even in ally/1st world countries with similar if not identical access and use of acetaminophen. I can find a study that links rubbing your head and patting your belly while trying to conceive to Autism in children. The cause is unknown and all the study says here is that abused use (taking more than your body really requires for a particular ailment) is in the behavior pattern of parents with children diagnosed as having Autism. That also does not account for parents who depend solely on holistic methods and still have a child diagnosed with Autism. And the skyrocket in diagnosis is primarily bc during the 80s self sufficient homes became available and Autism was recognized then as its own disability and not mistaken for another similar one.
Wow!  I have to be honest, I didn't even read all of the study that I'm hyping up, though I do still think it's worth reading about.  Knowledge is power.  Thank you so much for refuting me and sharing this!  It's very interesting, I'll have to google the subjects you brought up.  I'm always looking for new information.  That's why MedHelp is so great.  Thank you Lady Beeley!
I still wonder at the rate of diagnosis' in other countries...  I know that several states surround my home state of Washington will define Autism within differing spectrums of the disorder, for example ( generally speaking), a very high functioning adult with some emotional and minor social issues is able to be diagnosed where as in surrounding states doctors aren't so accepting with that approach.  

I would also add that the US is definitely the pharmaceutical capital of the world, and it kinda makes me wonder with the numerous prescription ads and commercials being waved in the public's face, would we be so dependant on medications (secondary to that diagnosis' of mental illness') as to create this major unbalance of ASD diagnosis' throughout the world?  I'm just thinking outloud.  Anyway,  thanks again for the info, I really appreciate it.