Aa
A
A
A
Close
Pregnancy Community
72.4k Members

Antibiotics

Hi. My doctor said I have a UTI based on my urinalysis. She wants to give me antibiotics but I am having second thoughts on taking any medication. I am now 21 weeks and 3 days. Anyone here took antibiotics or natural remedies?
8 Responses
I haven't used coconut oil for a uti but its great for its antibacterial, antiviral, antifungal properties. Same with olive leaf extract. That's something to try if you're avoiding meds and fine during pregnancy
Uti's can be dangerous if you don't take the antibiotics given to you. Listen to your doctor.
Take the antibiotics, with my first son I had a uti but didn't realise until I was in the back of an ambulance with my womb contracting due to a uti at 18 weeks. I was started on an anti biotic drip & steroids to mature the baby's lungs. I had no previous symptoms at all, 48hrs later I was discharged from hospital and little man stayed put until 39 weeks
I agree with maw4389. If you don't take it it will harm you & the baby. You can go into labor early if you have an infection for to long
Thank you all so much. I was just worried that antibiotics might give my baby birth defects.
The benefits out weigh this risks in this case for me, things could of been so different for my little one if it wasn't for the quick thinking of the paramedics that night. Wishing you all the best, try not to worry the doctors are there for both mummy & baby x
15695260 tn?1549593113
Hi there.  Your doctor is aware of your pregnancy and some antibiotics are perfectly safe during pregnancy.  Best to work with your doctor and follow their guidance.  Wishing you a quick recovery and easy rest of your pregnancy.  
Thank you for all your insights. Bought my meds now. I will be taking augmentin 3x a day for u days. I hope everything will be ok. :)
Have an Answer?
Top Pregnancy Answerers
13167 tn?1327194124
Austin, TX
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Get information and tips on how to help you choose the right place to deliver your baby.
Get the facts on how twins and multiples are formed and your chance of carrying more than one baby at a time.
Learn about the risks and benefits of circumcision.
What to expect during the first hours after delivery.
Learn about early screening and test options for your pregnancy.
Learn about testing and treatment for GBS bacterium.