Pregnancy Community

Blood test

I could potentially be pregnant. My period is late but all hpt show up negative. I plan on going into planned parenthood tomorrow to try and get a blood test done for better accuracy n better peace of mind. Can anyone plz tell me how long it usually takes for the blood test results to come back???  
Same day or next day has been my experience with a place like LabCorp or similar. Don't know about PP.
What if you were only 2 or 3 wks pregnant....will the blood test be just as accurate say if you were 6 wks pregnant?? Stupid question but Im curious.
Well they date your pregnancy based on your last period. Most women ovulate about 2-3 weeks after their period (longer cycles mean you ovulate later). So there's actually about 2-3 weeks of your "pregnancy" that you're not actually pregnant.

When you take a pregnancy test when your period is due you'd be considered 4 weeks along whereas your baby is actually only 2 weeks old. It's confusing at times but that is the standard in prenatal care in determining pregnancy dates because most women don't know when they ovulate but they do know their last period.

Okay so you have taken tests and gotten negatives even though your period is considered late. You must know that if you ovulate late then your period will come late. Stress can delay your period and ovulation.

As far as the blood test - it can detect pregnancy sooner than an HPT because it tests the actual level of hCG. Most HPTs test a particular level of hCG. One test may pick it up at 25mIU and another may pick up the pregnancy hormone at 150mIU or more. So a blood test is more accurate.
Thank you! That actually helped quite a bit! I am secretly hoping for positive results. I am 27 yrs old n have never really thought of a family until this very moment. This moment has actually made me realize how much i want to be a mom!
Well then I'm excited for you! I wasn't sure if this was something you wanted or not. And you know what? If you're not pregnant then you know you at least want a baby now and can plan for that and prepare your body (you can begin taking prenatal vitamins before being pregnant, for example).

Stick around! This may be a pregnancy forum but we talk to a lot of women who are not pregnant or are trying to conceive and I know I have learned a lot the several years I've been here about my body and fertility. And let us know your blood test result! If it says you're not pregnant it's important to accept that and relax so your period can come and you can start trying!