Pregnancy Community

Breastfeeding and Pregnancy

How accurate is it, that you cant get preggo while breastfeeding, or is that not true.
VERY MUCH NOT TRUE Latrice!!!  Breastfeeding will typically delay ovulation for most women.  The problem is, you may not have known that you ovulated until it's too late, thus the pregnancy occuring.  What I mean is that you may go months without a period (after your initial bleed from your delivery).  Well, once you have your first period, you will have ovulated a couple of weeks before your period, possibly without even knowing it.  So yes, you can get pregnant while breastfeeding.  Pretty easily too because a lot of people think that you can't....
I'm pregnant now.....which happened while breastfeeding.  I  didn't have a period but was still ovulatiing obviously.  Don't rely on it as a form of birth control!!!
Not accurate in my case! I bled for 4 weeks after delivery and exactly 8 weeks after birth my period was back like clockwork! bummer! Then just several months later I got preggo with this one. My mom always got hers back 6 weeks after delivery. I guess I take after her. I think it would be nice to not have a period while BF, but at the same time I like to know what my body is doing as well.
It is only accurate if you exclusively breastfeed and you breastfeed literally all day long. Breastfeeding releases a chemical in your brain that tells your body not to ovulate. But any pumping or supplementing can interrupt that. You can definitely become pregnant while breastfeeding.
Since I have had 5, my period has returned anywhere from 8 weeks after delivery to 7 months after delivery!  So, it is never the same w/ me even though I BF all of my kids exclusively until they are a certain age.  That can also affect your period too though.  I mean, if you supplement w/ formula, your period is more likely to come back sooner than if you exclusively BF.

I'm just tell you the norm though.  Of course every woman is different, but I just gave you "typically".
Yea I also was BFing every 1 1/2 to 2 hours all the time. I did pump occassionally, but my mom never pumped and breastfed on demand and still got hers right away. She actually got pregnant 3 months after my sister, but unfortunately had a m/c. I guess it really does depend on the woman. Everyone is different. The norm is usually not to get it if your BF, so I guess some us are not normal..lol. =)