Pregnancy Forum

Depression after miscarriage

Hi everyone,

After 6 months of trying my husband and I were thrilled to find out I was pregnant on July 14th.  Just one week later, at 7 weeks, I miscarried.  I was disappointed, of course, but was grateful it happened so early and ready to try again.

It is now almost a month later and this past week I have been thrown a major curveball with extreme fatigue, tendency to cry at any moment with no good reason, a sense of "hopelessness" meaning my job seems unsatisfying, I don't want to go anywhere, etc.  I feel like a total wreck.  I'm not sure how normal this is after having felt very stable in handling things the first few weeks.  Can someone please give me some guidance?

Thanks so much for your help.  

Amy

A visit to your ob/gyn or PCP is warranted.

Best of luck,

Dr. Downing  
Amy-
I'm sorry for your loss.  I have read that the hormonal changes that you go through after a miscarriage are essentially the same that women face after giving birth.  That is, what you are probably experiencing is some form of a "post-partum" depression.  I would definately talk to your obgyn and let them know.  If they cannot recommend someone to talk to, perhaps your primary physician can.  I would definately either go to talk with someone about what you are feeling, or even perhaps see if you can go onto some anti-depressants for a bit.
good luck!
Hi Amy,
I can relate - I have had two m/c's.  It is very hard to deal with, for me especially after the first one.  I had "baby on the brain" very bad and it wasn't until week 10 that I found out the embryo was not viable.  I think the hardest thing is that no one ever expects a miscarriage to happen to them.  I never thought it would happen to me.  After awhile you will begin to accept it and starting to actually "try" again is also comforting and gives you hope for the future.  My hubby and I have tried for 1.5 years.  I am now 17 weeks pregnant and the past 17  weeks has made the 1.5 years of trying seem very far away!!  I think grieving is totally normal and you may find yourself overly sensitive and jealous if any friends of your get pregnant before you do.  That is totally normal too.  It is hard to adjust back to the way you were before the pregnancy - for me because nothing else seemed important when I was pregnant than that little bean in my tummy and all of a sudden it was gone.  A loss is a loss and your feelings are normal.  Try to hope for the future and look forward to when you can start trying again.  Best of luck.
First of all I want to say that I am very sorry for your loss.  I am going through the same thing.  I would have been just over 8 wks, and at my 1st ob appt. I had a u/s that showed my gestational sac was very irregularly shaped, but the baby had a heartbeat.  My dr. did not seem concerned about the sac at all.  But, I got online and researched this, which basically said that my baby had a very small percentage of living.  Just four days ago I had a u/s done at work (since I work in a radiology dept.), my u/s showed that the baby no longer had a heartbeat, and there wasn't any blood flow going to the baby.  Right away I called my dr., later that day I had a d&c performed.  These last four days have been by far the worst days I have gone through.  I find that I can't stop crying, loss of apetite, don't want to leave the house, can't sleep, etc.  Luckily I have a very supportive husband and family that have tried to do as much as they can possibly do to help me get through this tragic time.   Nothing anyone says makes you feel any better about the situation, but I just tell myself they are trying. I have found that this website has made it a little easier to talk to women that can relate, like a support group.  A few of my close cousins have new babies and of course when they came by to see me they brought the cuties along.  While they were with me I enjoyed holding them and interacting but after they left I felt so jealous.  I hate that feeling, but I am sure it's only natural.  One thing that I found helped me the other night when I couldn't sleep and was having a meltdown is I wrote down on a piece of paper in words what I was feeling.  I was amazed with what I came up with, and thought maybe I needed medication.  But, I am just trying to take one day at a time.  Tomorrow will be the real test when I have to back to work where I first got the horrifying news.  But, I definitely think if nothing else we are stronger people after this.  Are you guys planning on trying again soon?
i am so sorry about your loss and i totally understand as i have had two m/c myself but i think you should take a prego test as the symptoms you are expirencing are what i had b/4 i found out i was prego the second time.
I can relate to all of you, I miscarriaged the beginnig of March 2007 I was 7 weeks pg. nd it was the worst feeling in the world I thought my life was over, but we are trying now.  But ever since then my periods have been so irregular, I got my period on April 7, May 18th, June 18th , July 23rd and August 20th. We have been trying since June and we still aren't pregnant? Could it still be that my body is not ready due to my cycles are still not normal? I am worring that it may never happen. If someone can help me & give me some hope I could really use it.
Thanks! ~~~*babydust*~~~
Get information and tips on how to help you choose the right place to deliver your baby.
Get the facts on how twins and multiples are formed and your chance of carrying more than one baby at a time.
Learn about the risks and benefits of circumcision.
What to expect during the first hours after delivery.
Learn about early screening and test options for your pregnancy.
Learn about testing and treatment for GBS bacterium.