Pregnancy Community

Depression and pregnancy

Just wondering if anyone is taking anything, and if so what? And how soon did you feel better and are there horrible side effects? Any advice/input would be great. Thank you.

Laura
I don't believe you can take anit-depressants during pregnancy. I have a sis-in-law who is bipolar and takes a sleu of medication and she is not allowed to become pregnant. While bipolar is obviously a more severe case than just regular depression I still think any drug you'd take either 1). hasn't been tested on pregnant women or 2). is harmful.

So sorry! Are you doing okay?
Oh and I want to add that doctors WILL give you a prescrip if you become a harm to yourself or others, obviously. They will always do the least harmful diagnosis.
well, what my doc told me is that there is some meds you can take during pregnancy that are thought to be safe.  He prescribed me something that is an allergy med.  I took it for a week and had to stop taking it bc it made me way to tired.  I would sleep all of the time.  I know that one of my friends was prescribed welbutrin (sp?).  I am just trying to coop until i have to baby.  and then try to get back on meds.  You need to try to find something that you really enjoy doing that is a stress reliever for you and try to do it regularly.  and i know that taking walks really helps me.  if i get my self all worked up I will go for a relaxing walk.  good luck.
I have bipolar 1 disease, and I am not allowed to take any of my anti-depressants at all. I have to be closely monitored by a shrink with weekly visits numerous times and even home visits. Before I had gotten pregnant I was on Cylexa(sp) it helped with my depression and my OCD.

I do plan on going back on my medications after delivery.

If you are feeling depressed or like your going to hurt yourself you need to let your doc know asap. There may be something they can do, maybe not im not to sure. BUT after your baby is born they can offer you a ton of options to help relieve you depression/anxiety.
I don't feel like I am going to hurt myself. I don't believe it is THAT severe.. I just feel upset and B I T C H Y all the time.. I wake up anxious and just cannot wait for the day to end so I can go to sleep.. It's like my life is a domino effect right now. I just thought maybe w/ mild meds and possibly seeing a therapist, I could like myself and not feel so depressed and inadequate ALL the time.. I am depressed..

Bi-polar disorder is MUCH more serious and I am lucky I do not suffer with that. My friends wife is bipolar and she is out of work and has been for 2 years she struggles so badly..

I am just sad and feeling like **** all the time..

Laura,
being sad and stressed because of life issues that you are dealing with right now is very different from being clinically depressed.  You may just need someone to talk to and chat and go out and distract yourself, go to a movie, get your hair done, do some prenatal yoga, get busy and you may start to feel better.  move maybe start fresh with your new baby.  You need to do something because your feelings do affect your unborn child and so do prescription medicines so your best bet is to try to find something new and positive to distract yourself and feel better.  And the sooner that you start feeling better or trying to things will start to come around.  Think positive and you will have positive outcomes.