Pregnancy Community

Failed glucose test

So I failed my 1 hour glucose test with a 217!  I'm really wondering if it had something to do with what I ate this weekend.  I had an abnormally high amount of carbs (biscuits, breads, etc.) and sugar (sherbert, donuts).  I was out of town and being cooked for so I wasn't able to watch what went in things.  I am on metformin 1000 milligrams ER.

I go back next week for the 3 hour test.  What are my chances of passing with a low carb and high protein diet with a number that high?  Is there anything else I can do to avoid failing?
You can try to avoid eating too much sugar for 24 hours before your test, but with numbers like that it might not be possible. The good thing about the 3 hour is that some people never pass the 1 hour and just need a little extra time to process the sugar.

I ate ice cream the night before a one hour and failed, but passed my 3 hour. Next time I didn't have any sugar the day before my one hour and still failed. Once again I passed my 3 hour with flying colors.
bump
I failed both and am diagnosed with gestational diabetes. Honestly, I wouldn't try to "cheat" the test by changing your diet, if you have it trust me it's best to be monitored. I only failed the 1 Hour Test by 5 points and the 3 Hour by 7 so I think a number as high as 217 you may not be able to pass the 3 hour regardless of what you eat.

It's really no big deal in the grand scheme of things. Yes it's a pain to have to test my blood sugar 4 times a day but I know this is what is best to have a healthy baby and the gestational diabetes will go away once the baby is delivered, It's really a small price to pay in order to have a healthy baby, On the plus side, because I have GD I get to get a growth scan at 34 weeks and 37/38 weeks so I get to see my baby again = )

Don't worry about it if you don't pass the 3 hour test. I learned a lot about carbs and how the effect your blood sugar and what this means for the developing baby. It's most definitely best to be monitored by your doctors if you do have it so don't worry everything will be fine, it will be totally worth it in the end = )
I failed the 1 hour with really high levels which is very weird considering I am Hypoglycemic. I was worried about it but after doing the 3 hour test everything came back in normal range. Its actually very normal to fail the 1 hour. Don't try to do anything differently because if you do have GD you will need to have it controlled and be monitored. Honestly even with that high of levels(mine was about the same) the results of the 3 hour may come back completely fine. So try not to worry. Hope it goes well!
My doctor told me to go ahead and start the gestational diabetes eating plan.  He doesn't seem to think that I have a chance to pass.  I really think that it has a lot to do with what I ate the entire week before.  I had my blood sugar tested at 18 weeks and it was well within normal range.  I had no sugar cravings and pretty much stayed away from it until the last few weeks.

My doctor said it wouldn't matter how I ate - if I have it then I have it...it can't be masked.  

Is the glucose drink larger than the one hour one?

My main concern and the thing that makes me the most angry is that if I am diagnosed I'm not allowed to try a VBAC, my doc said it was too dangerous.  We tried for 5 years to get pregnant again with lots of fertility treatments and I so wanted to deliver vaginally.  

I have never had a problem with GD or high tests but I can understand why you are upset, but just remember no matter how your baby gets here itwill be one of thebest days of your life!