Pregnancy Community

For moms who breastfeed, I have a few questions

This is going to sound so vain, but I'm wondering.... do your breasts suffer more damage if you breastfeed vs. formula? With my son I didn't even try to bf him, but this time around I'm starting to think it over. I'm worried that bf'ing will make my breasts well I don't know how to put it in a nice way. After my mom finished bf'ing my little brother her boobs shrivled up and now look like stretch mark pancakes just lying there. Mine are much bigger than hers, I'd have to roll them up to get them into a bra if that happened. If this is the case I just want to be prepared and start saving for my post baby boob lift ;-)

Also... is it true that bf babies don't sleep as long at night? If that's the case can you supplement with formula also? Will a baby switch between breast and formula?

Thanks guys I'm kind of an idiot when it comes to this subject and appreciate your answers!
Omg, I laughed so hard reading this!
Okay, well to answer your questions from the experience of a mom who has breastfed...

Before I got pregnant, I filled out an A cup nicely. Then after I had my son, I knew I was going to breastfeed for reasons such as baby's health, bonding experiences, and financial savings. However, I also knew I was going to supplement with formula at least a couple times a day because I was a single mom and a full time college student at the time and had to have my son in daycare, so there was no way I could exclusively breastfeed.
When my son was born, my milk came in about 36 hours later, and that was the most PAINFUL thing that has ever happened to my upper torso in my life! I'm not exaggerating in the least when I tell you that in less than 24 hours, I went from an A to a C cup. I felt like I couldn't breathe and I couldn't lift my arms. My breasts did get a few stretch marks, which now, four years later, are not even visible anymore (unfortunately, my tummy stretch marks are and I hate that, but at least my boobs don't look like road maps to match).
I breastfed for eight months about two or three times a day, and co-slept at night and fed from one breast at least twice a night. In the morning, I would pump from the other breast so he would have milk for his morning feeding at daycare. The rest of the day he was supplemented with formula until he came home to me.
As far as sleeping issues, like I said, we co-slept, which I thought was the best thing of all about breastfeeding, because #1, your baby is snuggled next to you all night, and #2, you don't have to get up to prepare a bottle if they get hungry; you just roll over and give them a boob, or get up and get them out of the crib and then lay down with them. I never really had a problem with my son needing me as a pacifier; he would eat and when I knew he was done but wouldn't let go, I'd break his suction and then put a pacifier in his mouth, or oftentimes, he'd just fall right to sleep anyway.
I weaned him at eight months because I couldn't seem to break his habit of biting :-S. Not only that, but by eight months, he was only feeding in mornings anyway, because at night all he preferred was solid food.
As I dried up, I unfortunately went from a lovely C cup to a B...and then within a week of weaning, I went to less than an A. I am still that way. It's pathetic. Plus I'm not "perky" anymore, but I'm not saggy, either. What I'm saying is that they don't look bad and ugly, but they're certainly not what they used to be.
But oh well...I wouldn't change a thing. Breastfeeding my son was the best descision I made for him and me together.
Breastfeeding doesn't cause sagging- pregnancy does.
I have breastfed 2 babies so far, one for 11 months and one for 16 months.  I am currently pregnant with my 3rd baby,  who will also breastfeed.  I didn't supplement with formula, so I'm not much help there.  I can tell you that a lot of people do supplement.  Some babies won't take formula if they are breastfed, so you may have a hard time with that.  You won't know until you try!   You could always pump for your baby so that other caregivers can feed your baby.

My breasts are pretty much the same as they were before I had my kids.  They might be a little smaller, and not quite as perky, but I don't have stretch marks or anything like that.  I've known women who did not breastfeed and still ended up being saggy with stretch marks.  I think it all depends on the person.  I know for me, I only go up about one cup size when I'm nursing, so maybe that has something to do with my breasts still looking pretty much the same after.
thanks guys I'm getting answers and thinking of millions of new questions. I'm glad I started looking into this early.
My son in just about 11 months and only nurses twice a day now. I was a full B before I got pregnant and once I started nursing I went up to a C almost a D. Now that he is not nursing as much I can fit into my bras that I wore before I got pregnant, so I know I am back to a B. I don't have any stretch marks either, thankfully. My husband says he likes them more now than before...lol. (that makes me feel better about nursing, because I thought they would look horrible afterwards)

Also, my son slept great at night! The second night home he started sleeping 3-4 hours a night! I was in shock. A couple of months later he started sleeping 12 hours a night.  Even now...he goes to bed at 7pm and wakes up at 7am and sometimes goes back to sleep until 9am. I couldn't have been more blessed. I know not every baby is like that, but he was strictly breastfed until a couple of months ago when I started introducing food. Just to say that breastfed babies can sleep through the night. We never supplemented, so I don't have any info on formula. Good luck!! =)
I have to disagree that breastfeeding doesn't cause sagging and that only pregnancy does.  My mom just turned 54 last week.  She has always been tiny but had a pretty full bust.  I was always very proportioned.  Not flat chested, but def not like my mom.  My mom never breastfed me or my brother and she has a chest I would love to have.  I swear she has actually gotten bigger over time.  All of the women in my family are very well endowed; except for me.  So my mom had 2 kids and had no problems in that dept.  I again was never flat chested, but after I had my first and breastfed him, my chest was never the same.

When I was a teenager, I had a friend who had a sister that had just had a baby.  Her sister told me that if I ever breastfed, my boobs would never be the same.  That meant absolutley nothing to me when I was 13, but in the end, it ended up being true for me.

But as others have said, it depends on the person I suppose.  Others have had opposite experiences from me.
Haha I'm so glad you asked this because I was thinking the same thing, I've heard of nipples being EXTREMELY long after and it scared the sh*t out of me hahaha - I'm going to try breastfeeding too, so hopefully they don't look HORRIBLE after! :X
I think it varies greatly from person to person.  I bf my 3rd child, but for only 5 weeks, and had no change in my breasts.  

My best friend has bf all four of her children for a full year, and her breasts look great!  I swear, the girl still looks good in a bikini, after four kids, and she attributes it to bf -ing for so long.

So, on the plus side, it is a *great* way to lose weight!
I haven't had my baby yet but I have worried about that too.  Right now I'm 19 weeks pregnant and my boobs are looking awesome (except for the huge dark nipples) I wish that they will stay like this because I was a size A before, now I'm reachign size C!

However I've always planned on breastfeeding exclusively because to me saggy boobs don't mean a thing compared with the best nutrition that your baby can have.  Also, it helps shed off the pounds gained during pregnancy a lot faster than not breastfeeding.  And I'd rather have saggy boobs than keep the weight that I've gained.
Mine are the same as they were before I had my daughter and I breastfed her until she was 16 months old (6 months exclusively, then slowly reduced # times per day, around 1 year old she was nursing twice a day and that lasted until 16 months).  But I do not notice any difference from before and after.

My DD started sleeping through the night (ca 6-7 hours) at about 3 months old.   When she was around 7 months old, she started getting a rice-cereal before bedtime and would sleep 8-9 hours per night.

There is a current debate among scientists about whether simply pregnancy or breast feeding or a combination causes sagging breasts. I think the general consensus is that pregnancy itself is the main cause of sagging. I have to say, though, that I disagree. I think it is a combination of the two.
With my first son I went from a 34 D to a 36 E within a month and stayed in an E while nursing. Now, with my second, I am in a 34 F and have yet to get my milk (I am due in 4 days). I nursed for 17 months with my first and will do the same with my second. When your breasts are filled with milk for a long period of time, of course they are going to sag after a while- those babies are heavy!
I really think that when your milk comes in and they get even bigger and heavy that causes sagging. I'm serious about getting a lift. I want one or two more kids after this so by the time I'm done I'll be able to tie them around my neck like a scarf. I'm a 36 D right now can you imagine how big and heavy those suckers will get?! I think the sagging is something I won't be able to get away from.