Pregnancy Community

Has anyone ever had a baby while doc had them on norco through out pregnancy?

My doctor kept me on my norco through out my entire pregnancy because my pain was so strong.  If I didn't take my medicine my pain sky rocketed and so did my blood pressure.  I feel so guilty that I ever got pregnant again because with my first daughter I was so healthy and pain free, she was perfect.  I want my daughter now to be born with a fair chance, and I don't want her to have withdrawals.  What happens, how do I deal with it, and have you gone through this?
Yes. I was on norco throughout my pregnancy with my son. I was on pain meds on and off when I was pregnant with my firstborn, my daughter, because of kidney stones and hydronephrosis....she was born perfectly healthy and is now a very bright 2 year old who is ahead of her peers. I was able to taper down and stop taking any meds with her before I delivered.

However, with my son, I was not able to taper. He was born without any sort of withdrawals and VERY healthy on the APGAR scale..he's now a healthy happy 5 month old and developing just fine.

It seems like you know that the biggest risk from narcotics use during pregnancy is withdrawals, not any sort of birth defect or developmental delays. If you and your doctor work together you can try to taper off near the end OF you can just be monitored extra carefully through delivery. Not every baby born to a mother who has taken narcotics will have withdrawals..my son didn't, and I took them regularly right up until the end because I had to.

Please msg me if you feel like talking...there are a LOT of women on this forum who have had babies while taking pain meds, you would be surprised! we're here for you and no one is going to judge, and I promise you that your baby won't be born "messed up" and if you and your doctor work VERY CLOSELY hand in hand, you can have a perfectly happy and healthy baby with a minimal chance of withdrawals (which they will monitor for in the hospital since they know you are taking these meds). the biggest thing is to be completely open and honest with your doctor about everything and he can help you give your daughter the best chance possible.

best of luck, congrats on your pregnancy with #2!