Pregnancy Community

Having Pets during pregnancy...

Hi there, this might be a somewhat silly question...

I am 17 weeks preggies and have 3 cats.... I have already been tested for Toxoplasmosis and all is clear (my cats are pretty much indoors most of the time except for 1 naughty one who keeps escaping off our balcony and visits all the other neighbourhood cats ;-)... but what is concerning me is that I have already had to de-worm my cats twice since I fell pregnant... and now I feel the obvious symptoms of having picked up their dreaded worms!! YUCK! So my concern is could having intestinal worms harm my baby and how can I treat it. Normally I just take a d-worm tablet, which I feed to my hubby and I at least every 4 - 6 months... but now I am preggies I wont just take any old pill in case it harms my baby.  What should I do?? Should I be worried?? Thanks all so much!

Kind Regards
PregCJW
I would call your dr  and see what they say to do. Other than that im not really sure. Sorry :/ but let us know what you find out!
Are you sure the cats are getting worms that often?  Indoor cats don't have anywhere to get worms.  Are you sure that you and your husband have been getting worms?  

Talk to your ob-gyn to a) be certain you really have worms -- get it confirmed, don't just go by "obvious symptoms"  and b) learn what is safe during pregnancy to do about worms if you have them.

The reason I am suggesting this is that I have frankly never heard of people needing to get wormed every six months.  It almost sounds like you are confusing something else for worm symptoms.
I agree with Annie
Ya that would be strange for them to be getting worms that often.... have you even ever actually gotten tested for worms to see if that is what you and your husband have? talk to your dr and get tested to see if you have worms.... Even my parent 13 year old outdoor cat that makes very frequent kills has only had worms once as a kitten... and my indoor cat has never had them....

your only choice really is to get tested and talk to your ob/gyn.... even if they did have worms i dont know how they would transfer it to the baby seeing how it wouldnt be playing in the cat fecal matter..... good luck hope everything goes good :)
I have many animals! Ranging from cats to Woodland turtles... The best thing you can do is stay clean after touching them wash your hands and stuff..
Indoor cats shouldnt get worms really... No where to get them from.

The best thing to do is to go to your doc and get checked!! :)

x
Thanks all for your feedback! Most appreciated!

My one cat gets out and roams around the neighbourhood and the others stay in. So I think he picks up the 'bugs' and brings them home to his brothers. They get worms BAD... I literally seem them falling out their butts sometimes. (REALLY HORRIBLE) The last worm tablets I gave them all I was advised by the vet to give them a single dose each, and then 2 weeks later give them another dose... which I did... but 1 of my boys has worms again. It is so annoying cause I keep a close watch on my cats and make sure everything is clean and they are healthy.

I think possibly, cause I am so conscious of my cats having had so many bouts of worms that as soon as I seem them showing signs I somehow through paranoia get 'symptoms' which could just be phantom symptoms. I don't know... the thought of intestinal worms is just so gruesome that I have developed a phobia, and being pregnant makes you worry.

I have looked researched it further and what I have found so far is that there is no real danger to baby if you have intestinal worms.. so I feel better. Gonna speak to my OB at my next appointment to 100% make sure and tested etc.

Thanks again!