Pregnancy Community

How big is too big for a toddler??

OKay, so I was just wondering what your toddlers are weighing in at. My son is 17 months and went through about
3-4 months without gaining or losing any weight and then while I was preggo and put on bedrest, he gained 3-4 pounds within a month. (probably stress related as I couldn't take care of him like I wanted to) Is this normal? He weighs about 33 or 34 pounds right now. He's a big boy but doesn't look overweight. He's about the size of most 3 year olds. I always get comments like oh he is 2 or 3? I'm like he's not even 18 months! I'm sure people look at him and expect him to act older and talk more, but he's still such a baby! =) And this has been going on for months! He only eats 3 meals a day, and maybe one snack in between (usually fruit). Only drinks milk at bedtime and has water during the day. Sometimes I add some juice in with his water. My husband is about 6'1" and I'm 5'8" so we are not small. I was big as a baby as well, but I looked overweight! lol. I was so chunky. Thankfully I did eventually thin out around 2 or 3. Today I had Jeremiah outside running around playing and I just want him to get more exercise. I was also running with him so I can lose all this baby weight.
I was just wondering if he is in a normal range or not? and how much activity or exercise should he be getting everyday? With a newborn, it's hard to get outside like I want to because it is getting colder out now. I am always so worried about his weight. What do you think?
my daughter is also 17 months she weighs 22 pounds but girls are very different from boys.... and with everything you had going on it is normal... he will loose the weight as he gets older and gets more active... don't worry about that...
I wouldnt worry about it to much in all honesty. My 3 yr old is short and weighs in at about 34 pounds, and he is still in 18-24 mo clothing...just grazing the 3t section by now, but I am short at 4'9 and I have always been thick..not overweight or chunky but big boned. Id say if he is eating a well balanced diet with plenty of the food groups and at moderate portions plus getting exercise then I wouldnt be to worried. And as far as exercise goes, every child is different...My oldest loses weight easily while my 3 yr old cant seem to lose weight at all lol...if it becomes that much of a concern for you, id suggest talking to his pediatrician/family doctor or even a child nutritionist just to put your mind at ease! I think he looks like a beautiful healthy 17 month old baby!
my guys are 13 months and weigh 23 lbs. they're in 12-18 months clothing and are 32 inches tall.
Elijah is 15 months old, weighs about 25 pounds, and is at least 32/33 inches tall. He's in 18-24 month clothes. DH is 6'6 and I'm 5'4, so he's taking after his dad for sure. I think Jeremiah is just fine. He's not overweight, and he's not underweight. Kids go through stages of growing horizontally and then vertically. They get chunky (maybe) and then they thin out. My neighbor's son is 19 months old, and was a pretty chunky baby up until the last month or so...he's really started to thin out. As long as he's healthy, and has a healthy diet I wouldn't worry.
Just found a good site, www.  infant   chart    .com  There's a chart for height, weight, head circumference, and weight for length...Elijah is 56% for weight, 92.4% for height, and 36.7% for weight to length. So he's just above average for weight, definitely above average for height, and below average for his weight to other babies of his height. I look at those numbers and don't worry at all, he eats healthy, doesn't snack on anything bad, drinks water, milk and once in a while juice...he's just fine.
My 2.5 year old weighs almost 40 pounds and is in the 90th percentile for his age and weight although my six year old is as big as a 10 year old! So I wonder but they were both big babies and never really had any problems! He'll even out no worries :)