Pregnancy Community

Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy during pregnancy with scheduled ablation surgery after delivery

I am 37 1/2 yrs old.  Para 1, Gravida 4.  I had an episode of SVT with my first pregnancy at 41 weeks that was attributed to the pregnancy.  My two subsequent miscarriages were not attributed to the HCM.  I am currently pregnant for the fourth time at 31 weeks gestation, with the HCM diagnosis at 7 weeks pregnant after MRIs, Echo's etc and two episodes of PSVT to 240bpm.  Septal thickness of 22mm.

I am taking Metoprolol - 25mg at 0800, 25mg at 1800 and 50mg at 2300 to control my rates and arrythymias.  I wore a Holter monitor last week that showed 9 episodes of SVT and 2 of Vtach.

I am due for cardiac ablation one month after my scheduled c-section.  My BP with the Metoprolol is around 105/50 during the day and unknown while sleeping.

I have the following concerns I was hoping could be addressed.

1.  What are the odds I can carry to full term?  Should I even try?
2.  What are the risks to both me and baby if I try...vs....having our risks when having a c-section done early to try and relieve the cardiac stress on me?
3. How long after I have the ablation will I be able to resume breastfeeding?
4.  Would bedrest be of any benefit?  I am not allowed to be active currently and are pretty good with adhering to that advice.

I can still feel the breakthrough arrythymias but am unsure if it is really posing a problem or if I am just hormonally unbalanced and scared for no reason.

Thanks.