Pregnancy Community

Likelihood of csection after vaginal birth and likelihood of induction

Ok, I realize this question is kinda backwards, but I am now 34 weeks pregnant with baby #2 and I am terrified of having a csection. My first baby was induced, and after spending much of my labor at a 6cm I was told if I didn't get to an 8cm within the next hour I would be taken for a csection. Thankfully I was able to achieve the 8cm in time and give birth vaginally. I have nothing but respect for csection mamas but I was sooo relieved and proud that I was able to give birth vaginally. And I have come to see a pattern In hospitals with labor time, and the decision to have an "emergency" csection. Now that I am nearing my due date with baby number 2 with a different doctor and different hospital, I am worried about possibly being induced again and the possibility of csection. Everyone says the second baby comes quicker, is that really true? I'm also scared of having an unnecessary csection. Idk I guess I'm just needing some assurance? Help!
Every pregnancy is different. There's no way to know how labour will go with each baby. Might be quicker. Might be longer.
Second baby usually does come quicker but there's no guarantee that they will come before the due date. As far as being induced, you don't have to be. Unless health risks or you go too far past(2weeks past) just hold out if you can and try to go naturally. I'm deathly afraid of a c section. There's nothing wrong with them, I just can't handle it personally. So I understand your concern. You should be able to give a natural vaginal birth, but you'll be more likely if you can go in naturally. Try walking and maybe a massage when it gets closer to time.
I don't know about your situation in particular,  but many times, c-sections for "failure to progress" are totally unwarranted. Even of you've been stuck at 6cm for hours, as long as baby is fine and you are handling labor well, there's no reason to push a c-section. Lots of times, hospitals are just in a hurry to get women through labor and free up beds.

Also, as long as you and baby are healthy, there's really no good reason to induce before 42 weeks. After 42 weeks, infant mortality rates increase and there's a chance that your placenta will stop performing as well as it should. C-section rates go down after the first pregnancy, but being induced makes your rate of a c-section increase.

Lots of mommas think they have to blndly follow what their OB's tell them, but that's not true. You have a voice and a right to demand your preferences for a safe and healthy birth are followed. If your OB wants to induce or perform a c-section,  ask for the reasoning. If it's not good enough for you, say no.