LongTerm Hydro Use & 5wks Pregnant

I have been taking Hydrocodone APAP 10/500 for over 5 years now.  I take 2-3 a day.  I just found out that I am 5 weeks pregnant ... I am going to try to wein myself down, I've already spoken to my doctor about lowering my intake. I am wondering what damage is already done to my fetus, or what damage will be done if I continue the 2-3 a day... Also, I plan on breastfeeding- can this be done if I am taking the meds??
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Good job talking to your dr and trying to come up with a plan to slowly cut back. Odds are no damage has been done at this point. The majority of pain pill complications with pregnancy happen in the second half when the baby can become addicted.

You didn't mention what you take it for but, it would probably be a good idea to look in to your alternatives such as massage or some other type of pain relief. Good luck
Helpful - 0
Call your physician back and ask him all these questions.  I would think most physicians would want you to stop taking hydro's.  I was on valium before I got pg and I stopped taking them.  I took one test and I didn't wait long enough for the results and picked up my valium right after the test and took some.  Then when I did find out I was pg I felt so guilty.  Now at almost 17 weeks pg, I have to realize I can't beat myself up with what I did, the past is the past.  I will say this, if I was taking them now I would just feel guilt all the time and then you have to ask yourself what is more important.  
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Pregnancy Community