Aa
A
A
A
Close
Pregnancy Community
72.3k Members

Low Progestrone Level

I am not sure about whether or not the cause of the miscarriages were due to the Depo-Provera but I did furthur research and wanted to share some info with those individuals that don't know.  Depo-Provera is a synthetic hormone.  I was very young when I took it and didn't get all of the details (ignorance).  If I would have known that fact alone, I wouldn't have taken it.  If you have a low Progestrone Level it will more than likely cause you to have a miscarriage.  Now.....I am just trying to figure out my problem so I am going to make an appt. with my doctor to take further testing of my progestrone levels.  Before I got pregnant the second time I was trying to figure out why I had the first miscarriage and I fell under only that one catagory (low progestrone)  I realized that because one symptom of low progestrone level is prolonged period.  Before I was able to get tested I got pregnant again and was so excited I didn't do the testing...........I lost that one too.  After that I pretty much gave up but I still have the prolonged period so I will finally do the testing.  In the mean time....I will have to make sure I don't get pregnant.  The problem isn't getting pregnant.........the problem is staying pregnant.  I just can't believe how many women have had the same problem.  I did not want to make the corrolation between depo and miscarriage but the information that I have gathered makes sense..to me anyway.  Sinthetic hormone....abnormal cycle..........prolonged period...............miscarriages.  I will keep you posted.
2 Responses
233053 tn?1321647421

I was wondering if you are experiencing any other symptom than prolonged period? I have the same problem, and I have recently developed other symptoms as well such as low(or lack of) sex drive and depression and hair loss.I too have suffered 2 miscarriages. I keep telling my doc that my progestrone is low, but she dismisses the idea. I am embarrased to tell her that I no longer enjoy sex and this makes it very difficult to try to get pregnant. I am totally frustrated!
558483 tn?1321391043
I have been there also i had a m/c in 1999....then one June 2,2008 and also my 3 on was July 24,2008...I to done alot of research on the internet...And I too also told the doctor i wanted to take progestrone to help me stay pregnant...I take fertility drugs also..Im on Clomid 100mg and as of the 18th of this month i have started taking Prometrium 200mg....my fertility doctor has told me to take these and to also take a preggo test next week if it says not preggo for me to continue taking the Prometrium untel I start my cycle. With all 3 m/c i never carried past 6 weeks....I can tell you that here in North Carolina that the Prometrium 200 mg's  16 pills cost $ 75.00....Also to Lilyb is this doctor you are talking to is it a obgyn ???  I didnt ask my doctor to put me on this !!  I told him to and he did....good luck to all of you .....
Have an Answer?
Top Pregnancy Answerers
13167 tn?1327197724
Austin, TX
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Get information and tips on how to help you choose the right place to deliver your baby.
Get the facts on how twins and multiples are formed and your chance of carrying more than one baby at a time.
Learn about the risks and benefits of circumcision.
What to expect during the first hours after delivery.
Learn about early screening and test options for your pregnancy.
Learn about testing and treatment for GBS bacterium.