Pregnancy Forum

Missed 2 periods but negative HTPs....pregnant????

Hello. I am so baffled over my situation and I am hoping someone will have some advice for me. I am 19 years old and have had my period for 9 years now and it has always been regular. I have never missed a period before. My LMP was about July 17th, 2007 and it is now September 23 and I have not had a period since. No light bleeding, no spotting, nothing at all. My boyfriend and I have unprotected sex (using withdrawl) and I am not on any form of birth control. I took an HPT a week after my first period was missed and it was NEG. I took another one about two days later, it was NEG. I took another one right around the time of my second missed period and it was still NEG. What is going on with me? I am not under any stress. Never had any "female" problems in the past. I thought for sure I was pregnant when I missed my period since I've never missed before. I am urinating more frequently. I am not one to ever get headaches but the past month I am getting headaches quite often. As far as nausea, I really haven't been nausiated recently, but on and off I was feeling sick to my stomach in the past month. I get tired easily. My breasts were really sore back when I was expecting my first missed period, for about a week or two, but they don't really feel sore now. They feel a little heavy but thats about it. I feel bloated all of the time with occasional pressure and/or slight cramping. I also notice my urine is cloudy most of the time if that means anything. (Not a UTI) Is it possible that I can still be pregnant after the 3 negative HPTs?? I have a doctors appt. Oct. 2 with my OB/GYN. Someone please help!! Thank you!!

When you see your physician they'll ask you about stressor, sx's of menopause and any history of irregular menses.  You will want to make sure they check your thyroid level (TSH) and a prolactin level.  They will also perform a pregnancy test at the office.  Further, a gyn exam should be performed to ensure normal anatomy.  After all that is completed, you should have some answers.  Remember sometimes this type of thing can happen with no clear cause.

Best regards,

Dr. Downing
Definitely get a blood test done. I had 4 months worth of negative tests and finally got a positive blood test and got to listen to the baby's heartbeat the day I found out I was truly pregnant...at 16 weeks
I am so glad to finally hear from someone who has actually had that happen to them! I have so many questions! Did your doctor say why this happens sometimes when HPTs just won't pick up a pregnancy?? Is it common!??
They said that my hCG levels just didn't go up so it wouldn't register on the urine test but that blood tests could pick it up. They never did give me a definitive answer as to why. My only thought was my weight was so low when I got pregnant b/c I didn't even start showing until well into my 6th month.
Did he say how common that is? Does it happen to more women then people realize??
Hello ladies. I am in the same boat. I am 22 years old and my periods are normally regular, typically a 33 day cycle. My husband and I were pregnant earlier this year, but I miscarried 4 weeks later. Now, as I am writing, today is October 3rd, and my last period was on August 26th. That means I am 6 days late and on a 39 day cycle.
I have taken 3 HPTs and all came up negative. I have been very tired lately, dizzy, naseous (I can barely brush my teeth without gagging), I have lower back pains, my appetite is all screwy (I had saltine crackers and peanut butter for dinner the other night), my breasts are tender, I am VERY moody, my skin has broken out more than usual, and I feel as though I am on my period, but I am not bleeding.
I am started to get very confused as to why my period is SO late. I haven't changed my diet, my exercise, been on any medications, been sick...everything is the same as it has always been and I can't figure out why if I am so late, why the home tests say negative.
Any ideas? Any comments or advice are greatly appreciated!
Get information and tips on how to help you choose the right place to deliver your baby.
Get the facts on how twins and multiples are formed and your chance of carrying more than one baby at a time.
Learn about the risks and benefits of circumcision.
What to expect during the first hours after delivery.
Learn about early screening and test options for your pregnancy.
Learn about testing and treatment for GBS bacterium.