Pregnancy Community

Missed Period and Breastfeeding...

So, to start off I do feel I am being paranoid, but I just need some amount of reassurance. I had my son back in Dec. of 08 and after I stopped bleeding from that (about 6 weeks) I had a period (or some random spotting) about 2 months later in the middle of the month. Then I believe (from what I remember) that I skipped a month and had a period in May in the middle of the month. Then in June I had a period about two weeks (roughly) after me and my b/f (my son's father) had slept together (yes we used protection and it did not break - now this period was also at the end of the month, like the 25th or 28th of June to the very beginning of July). Well this past month - July I did not have a period and it's the 8th of August and nothing has came yet. I do exclusively breastfeed and it has somewhat flunctuated (he used to only wake up like once a night and now he wakes up anywhere between 2-4 times and he used to eat every 4 hours and now it's to every 3 hours but I do not remember where this correlates to my period - like when it came or didn't come) and within the past week or two we have given a supplement in the night of formula, but this was after I was supposed to get my period. Now I know it's common to not have a period while you're breastfeeding but what about the irregularity of it? That it has come and gone randomnly. I also do not necessarily "feel" like I am pregnant or anything, but I am scared. I also did take a pregnancy test about 2 days ago (in the morning) and it did come back negative but I also didn't technically pee on it for the recommended 10 seconds.
Almost anything is considered normal when it comes to your periods while breastfeeding. All women experience a time of postpartum bleeding following birth which is not considered a menstrual period. If bottle-feeding, most mothers will have their first real period not long after this. Breastfeeding, however, suppresses menstruation at least for a while. For some mothers, there may be an absence of menstruation for weeks, months, and even years while still breastfeeding. Some mothers will even need to completely wean before they see their first period. Others, once their babies begin taking supplemental foods or sleeping longer periods at night, will see the first period. Once menstruation returns it may continue to be irregular during lactation. It's not uncommon to have a shorter or longer than normal period while breastfeeding. It's also not abnormal to skip a period or see the first period return and then find that months pass before the next one.

Perhaps you should use another form of bc such as an IUD to keep your mind at ease.