Close
Pregnancy Community
72.3k Members
1845665 tn?1318952968

My period

does it mean your pregnant if your period is
brown not red
10 Responses
No. Taking a test and it coming out positive most likelyyyyy means your pregnant..
1580318 tn?1550258081
Not usually

Brown blood usually means it's just old blood
1717392 tn?1364540264
no.  i always have brown periods...mine only usually last 3 days. only the first half day is it red..the rest its brown.  sometimes only a day or 2 of just brown.
1194973 tn?1385507504
As the others said, no. You can have brown blood for any dozens of reasons, and women do NOT have a period while pregnant. Take a pregnancy test if it's suspected.
1717392 tn?1364540264
actually women CAN have a period wen pregnant.  a best friend of mine had montly periods the WHOLE time she was pregnant and the doctors could not explain it and said its RARE but it DOES happen. (another family friend had them also, until up to 5 months pregnant)  She had a perfectly healthy pregnancy!
889551 tn?1416188083
Women can have bleeding while pregnant, and it not be caused from a miscarriage. However, it is impossible to menstruate while pregnant. If an ovum is not fertilized, the hormone levels drop and signal the body to shed the uterine lining. If uterine lining is shed during pregnancy, it will cause a miscarriage. This is why women with low progesterone or other hormonal problems have difficulty conceiving or have habitual miscarriages.

I personally bled nearly the whole first trimester. I would bleed heavily and then it would slow down, but return heavy within a few weeks. The bleeding was caused by a possible subchorionic hematoma and low progesterone levels, but it was not a period. Sure, it felt like a period, looked like a period, but I was pregnant...and my uterine lining was thick and sustaining my pregnancy. Women bleed in pregnancy for a number of reasons from SCH, infection, low hormone levels indicating a possible miscarriage, trauma to the cervix during intercourse, etc.
Have an Answer?
Top Pregnancy Answerers
13167 tn?1327197724
Austin, TX
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Get information and tips on how to help you choose the right place to deliver your baby.
Get the facts on how twins and multiples are formed and your chance of carrying more than one baby at a time.
Learn about the risks and benefits of circumcision.
What to expect during the first hours after delivery.
Learn about early screening and test options for your pregnancy.
Learn about testing and treatment for GBS bacterium.