Pregnancy Community

O/T Baby Cereal... is my little guy ready?

My son Franky is 3 months old.  He has always been a big baby.  When he was born he was 8 lbs 3 ozs, and he already weighs 16 lbs he is not over weight by any means he is tall too, and is just going to be a big guy like his dad (he was 10lbs at birth and is 6'3 and 240lbs now)  His hunger is not satisfiable... he literally spends his entire day eating and sleeps all night long.  He eats between 35-40 ozs of formula per day.  I have been reading up on baby cereal and there are so many different opinions.  Some give their babies cereal at night from day one for a good nights sleep, others wait until 4-5 months, some say when a baby doubles his/her birth weight.  Just wanted to get some different opinions on when and how all of you started your babies on cereal.  
it actually has very little to do with weight and/or age....it all ahs to do with their ability to manipulate their tongues to cycle food forward and backwards on their tongue so they can avoid gagging when they eat the cereal...it's a skill that they have to know before they can eat solids to keep from choking.

you'll know as a mom when he's ready if he's watching you eat with intense interest and imitating your mouth movements, and if he's very good at manipulating with his mouth/tongue. your pediatrician will be able to tell you for sure when/if he's ready and I would definitely ask because every baby is different.

I think we did rice cereal at 4 months for Kahlan.....and we're going to do that with Grey too but I'm gonna ask his ped at his 4-month-checkup if he's ready before we go ahead with it :).
I started at 4 and half months.. id talk to your ped. my friend has been giving her son formula and cereal and baby food since 3 months cause he just wouldnt get full.

I dont advise putting it in a bottle unless u absolutly had to.  

When i started i did it at night first, the very last feeding before bed. and i mixed it with a formula from the bottle i made for him to eat after, id feed it to him from a spoon, then hed wash it down with the rest of his bottle.  I did that for 2 weeks before I started doing it in the morning too.. no I put some fruit in his cereal too.. He loves it!!!

But again id call his de. and talk to them about it first
Thank you ladies I want to wait until his 4 month check up (after thanksgiving), but in the meantime the way he ***** down his bottles makes me feel like he needs more.  He does watch us eat and moves his mouth around even when I am chewing gum...lol.  But, I would hate to give it to him before he is ready and have him choke =(  Maybe I will put a call into his doc and just see what she says.
woow. 16 lb at three months! Im thinking around 5 months for cereal.
haha I can't believe is *** out one of my words I guess I should of said guzzle down his bottle instead ...lol
Well i started my oldest son on rice cereal by spoon at about 12 weeks. He did great on it so we started 1st foods at 16 weeks old. My youngest had rice cereal in his bottle from birth because of acid reflux. He was then given it by spoon at about 4 months because he was not ready until then with being premature.
i started at 6 weeks but that is due to reflux; i would ask your ped. and again, like ashelen said, wait until he shows intense interest in your eating habits AND isn't being satisfied my formula alone anymore.
new studies show that you should wait for folids till they are 6 months of age becasue it raises the chances of having health issues later in life and leads to digestive problems and allergies easier.

Babies just start the ability to move the food around thier mouths at 6 months old and 6 months is when thhey can start to "learn how to eat" they only need about a couple of table spoons though until they can move it to the back of thier mouth and not push it out with thier tongue. Befoer that the digestive tract is not ready for solid foods.
I started Elijah on rice cereal at 4 months, I'd give him a couple teaspoons a day once a day. I didn't put it in a bottle, I actually fed him with a spoon. I'd say it's up to you, I personally wouldn't start before 4 months.

30something13, I'm not sure where you read all that from...BUT Elijah was good at eating with a spoon, didn't just spit it out...AND the cereal HELPED him with his potty problems...I think it depends on the baby.
OH, and I also think it depends on mommy too. Go with that mommy instinct. You know what's best.
here is a link from heathlyChildren.org that is now transfered when you go to the American acadamy of Pediatrics
,http://www.healthychildren.org/English/ages-stages/baby/feeding-nutrition/pages/Getting-Started-with-Solid-Foods.aspx

When your infant is able to sit independently and grab for things to put in her mouth, it’s time to begin introducing solid foods. Start with simple, basic foods such as rice cereal. You should add breast milk or warm formula to the cereal, mixing about 1 tablespoon of cereal with every 4 to 5 tablespoons of breast milk. Look for infant cereals that are fortified with iron, which can provide about 30% to 45% of your infant’s daily iron needs. About midway through the first year, her natural stores of iron will have become depleted, so extra iron is a good idea.

Here are some additional recommendations to keep in mind.

•Introduce your baby to other solid foods gradually. Good initial choices are other simple cereals, such as oatmeal, as well as vegetables and fruits. Most pediatricians recommend offering vegetables before offering fruits.
•Start these new foods one at a time, at intervals of every 2 to 3 days. This approach will allow your infant to become used to the taste and texture of each new food. It can also help you identify any food sensitivities or allergies that may develop as each new food is started. Some pediatricians advise introducing wheat and mixed cereals last because young babies could have allergic reactions to them. Contact your doctor if symptoms (for example, diarrhea, vomiting, rash) develop that seem to be related to particular foods.
•In the beginning, feed your infant small serving sizes—even just 1 to 2 small spoonfuls to start.
•Within about 2 to 3 months after starting solid foods, your infant should be consuming a daily diet that includes not only breast milk or formula, but also cereal, vegetables, fruits, and meats, divided among 3 meals.
•When your infant is about 8 to 9 months old, give her finger foods or table foods that she can pick up and feed to herself. Make sure she’s not putting anything into her mouth that’s large enough to cause choking. Do not give small infants raisins, nuts, popcorn, or small or hard food pieces that can be easily aspirated.

AuthorSandra G.Hassink, MD, FAAP
Last Updated10/12/2010

this is there reccomendation on starting solids!!!!!!!!!

Amount and Schedule of Formula Feedings

After the first few days, your formula-fed newborn will take from 2 to 3 ounces (60–90 ml) of formula per feeding and will eat every three to four hours on average during her first few weeks. (Breastfed infants usually take smaller, more frequent feedings than formula-fed infants.)

During the first month, if your baby sleeps longer than four to five hours and starts missing feedings, wake her up and offer a bottle.

By the end of her first month, she’ll be up to at least 4 ounces (120 ml) per feeding, with a fairly predictable schedule of feedings about every four hours.

By six months, your baby will consume 6 to 8 ounces (180–240 ml) at each of four or five feedings in twenty-four hours.

On average, your baby should take in about 2 1⁄2 ounces (75 ml) of formula a day for every pound (453 grams) of body weight. But he probably will regulate his intake from day to day to meet his own specific needs. So instead of going by fixed amounts, let him tell you when he’s had enough. If he becomes fidgety or easily distracted during a feeding, he’s probably finished. If he drains the bottle and still continues smacking his lips, he might still be hungry.

There are high and low limits, however. Most babies are satisfied with 3 to 4 ounces (90–120 ml) per feeding during the first month and increase that amount by 1 ounce (30 ml) per month until they reach a maximum of about 7 to 8 ounces (210–240 ml). If your baby consistently seems to want more or less than this, discuss it with your pediatrician. Your baby should drink no more than 32 ounces (960 ml) of formula in 24 hours. Some babies have higher needs for sucking and may just want to suck on a pacifier after feeding.

Initially it is best to feed your formula-fed newborn on demand, or whenever he cries because he’s hungry. As time passes, he’ll begin to develop a fairly regular timetable of his own. As you become familiar with his signals and needs, you’ll be able to schedule his feedings around his routine.

Between two and four months of age (or when the baby weighs more than 12 pounds [5.4 kg]), most formula-fed babies no longer need a middle-of-the night feeding, because they’re consuming more during the day and their sleeping patterns have become more regular (although this varies considerably from baby to baby). Their stomach capacity has increased, too, which means they may go longer between daytime feedings—occasionally up to four or five hours at a time. If your baby still seems to feed very frequently or consume larger amounts, try distracting him with play or with a pacifier. Sometimes patterns of obesity begin during infancy, so it is important not to overfeed your baby.

The most important thing to remember, whether you breastfeed or bottlefeed, is that your baby’s feeding needs are unique. No book can tell you precisely how much or how often he needs to be fed or exactly how you should handle him during feedings. You will discover these things for yourself as you and your baby get to know each other.

Last Updated6/22/2010