Pregnancy Community

OT - Please help I can't seem to gain weight!

I have always been a very skinny person. I have a super fast metabolism and although I can eat an enormous amount of food I never seem to gain any weight. In fact, its like I actually loose weight. After having Aspen I thought that maybe it would get a little better but it hasn't at all. I'm under 100 lbs again and I feel like I am wasting away. There doesn't seem to be a thing I can do to make myself get heavier. I feel so depressed and gross. I saw a picture of myself the other day and I don't know if it was the angle or what but like my face looked almost skeletal and you could see my cheek bones. I'm getting scared. Does anyone know if there are any types of meds I can be prescribed or something to do that can help me get a little meat on my bones?
have you talked to your doctor about it? Some doctors can help you and suggest something you can do about it. I have the opposite effect with food.. I eat and just a little and cant seem to get if off of me. Right now i am not too worried about it since I am preggo but after the baby is born i am going to do something.
I agree with sakers1985, you need to speak with your doctor about it. Maybe there's some kind of shake you can drink that would help you with that. Make sure you talk to your doctor about it. Good luck!
I'm sure there is something a doctor could prescribe for you! Definitely call and ask them about it. You probably just need to eat more. How is your diet?

sakers, this is off the original subject but if you don't get enough calories your body will store it as fat instead of burn it. I started using the website s p a r k people d o t com (no spaces) to chart my nutrition and exercise. I found out I wasn't eating enough calories. Now that I'm eating what I need to (based on my age, weight, height) I have lost 4 lbs in ONE week.
I completely understand what you're going through.

I'm 5'4", and for almost four years weighed less than 100 lbs, at one point got down to 85lbs. Everyone thought I had an eating disorder, or was doing it for my job (I modeled part-time in college).

Totally not true, and I actually LOST jobs/shoots because I looked so skeletal & sickly.

My advice is talk to your doctor, and in addition to a full physical, have them look at your digestive functioning & thyroid hormone levels.

I was initially diagnosed with IBS, and they determined food was going through my system so fast, I wasn't absorbing enough nutrients.

I was given nutrient dense protein shakes, & put on a healthy diet/excerise program (I worked with a nutritionist) which helped a lot, but didn't fix the problem. I would still lose weight at the drop of a hat.

A year or so later, I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism, which usually makes people GAIN weight, but not me, lol. I'm now on synthetic thyroid hormone (once a day), and my weight has stabelized at a happy 110-113lbs.

But, hyperthyroidism is usually what makes people lose weight, so they'd most likely suspect that first.

I was so thin I didn't menstruate for several years, and since I'm now trying to TTC, I worry about long-term adverse effects being so skinny for so long will have on my chances, and my future child.

My doctors say they they think I can get pregnant normally, and are very glad I came to them when I did.

I was entering a very dangerous zone with my weight, at risk for heart problems & worse, so my advice is get in to see someone, A.S.A.P.

Good luck. *hugs*
Thank you all so much. My diet is great I eat at 3 meals a day plus snacks and make sure that everything I eat is healthy and filling. I'll even admit that when I get into one of "those" moods I will eat a whole box of hostess cupcakes. Yum! My sister has a thyroid problem but was diagnosed at birth for it. She's 5'0 and has always been around 85 lbs. I would think that if I had a thyroid problem wouldn't they have food it at birth? Ugh. I just hate being so skinny. I'm going to try and call the doctor tomorrow morning and hopefully get in with in the next day or so. I just can't take it anymore it freaks me out when I lay down and I can feel my hip bone. I loved when I was pregnant because I was so chunky and I dont know why but I honestly thought that after being pregnant you retain weight better. Guess not. :(
My first guess is something is off.  You can develop a thyroid problem or a pituitary problem at any age...My mom is 52 and she JUST got diagnosed last year with a pituitary problem so she essentially is hypothyridic.  See your regular doctor and ask for some blood tests OR even better, ask to see an endocrinologist who specializes in these hormonal disorders.  Good luck!
I agree with the ladies get your thyroid checked! Good luck!
Man, I wish I could eat some Hostess ding-dongs! YUM!!! Okay, I'm glad to hear you're eating well. Makes me think something else is off as well. To check your thyroid they'd just do a blood test I think. GOOD LUCK! And please keep us updated!
You could have an overactive thyroid so i would talk to your doctor about it. If he says there is nothing wrong then just try to eat healthily, make sure you get all the vitamins and minerals you need and enough protein also.