MedHelp.org will cease operations on May 31, 2024. It has been our pleasure to join you on your health journey for the past 30 years. For more info, click here.

OT- Quitting Smoking

well ladies, I just wanted to share that I had my infertility appointment on Tuesday and smoked my last cigarette that night! I have not had one in 48 hours!  I know that this month I actually have the chance to get pregnant so I said, I am done!  I want to give my future bean the best possible chance.  I have only been smoking for a couple years but since my life seemed to spin out of control I have been up to a pack a day!  It's horrible.  But like I said, 2 days smoke free might not seem that great but I really feel a difference.  My lungs feel bigger, like I can breathe more air!  I get the couple minute cravings (lol which is why I am writing this post, something to keep my hands busy til it passes) but all in all, it really hasn't been that bad.  So question,  have any of you quit smoking either before or after you found out you were pregnant?  Any tips for me?
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I quit for a week when I first found out but snuck a few because my grandfather was in ICU =[
I quit cold turkey the day we buried him though, I think babies are a great motivator to kick the habit!!
Helpful - 0
wow.  I hope I turn out just like you!  It's pretty rough today and everytime I think about just one little hit off one, I do something...dishes, laundry, play the xbox360.  That thing by the way has come in handy!  I usually do not play video games but it keeps my hands busy and my mind focused...thank you for sharing your experience :)  all these stories are making me more determined, so thank you everyone!
Helpful - 0
hey you, quitting buddy.  did you buy a new pack? :)
Helpful - 0
Congrats on quitting!!! I know how hard it is. I have no idea if this is medically correct or not but I have heard that after 2 weeks the "addiction" is over and the chemicals are out of your system and after that you are just breaking yourself of the hand to mouth routine. I do have to say they are the hardest 2 weeks. As for finding things to do to occupy your hands you should buy some suckers. They help quite a bit. This still gives you the hand to mouth routine and they last a while, about the same time frame as a cigarette. Good luck!
Helpful - 0
You ladies are wonderful.  I feel so accomplished and it's only been almost 3 days.  The cravings are definitely peaking today but I made my boyfriend take my debit card with him to go have beers with the boys, that way I have NO money to get some.  I was like a pack of ultra lights won't hurt...heh heh heh i am glad i didn't get them.  I am on day 3 of Provera.  I really want to stop taking it so I can get my AF and start the Clomid..lol  If I had a little bean in there I think I would feel so much better!
Helpful - 0
I think that you being on wellbutrin is probably helping too.  I've never smoked (besides experimental times in high school) but a friend of mine recently quit after 9 years.  She took Wellbutrin to help her and said she is now going to get off of that because sometimes she doesn't even take it and feels fine.  She also said that now she can smell smoke on other people or in other places and asks me if I would smell it on her.  She also stopped counting how long it's been since she stopped, i guess it helped her not worry if she has quit longer than the last time she tried.  

One of my client's smoke all through her pregnancy and her baby had IUGR, so she had to be born early and was very tiny.  That is one an effect of smoking while pregnant and when it seems tough to quit, just think about your baby and their well being :)  

Congratulations though on your first 48 hours and many months to come!
Helpful - 0
Congrats on quitting smoking.  People who have never smoked or had any other addiction don't know just how difficult it is.  I smoked for 12 years.  I smoked through my first pregnancy and she had low birth weight and some other problems initially (she's fine now though) then I had a miscarriage....so in december of 2000 when i found out i was pregnant again...i finished the pack i had and i haven't had a single cigarette since.  

The best advice i can give you is this:  the longer you go the more you are probably going to want one in the beginning....you've already taken the hardest step...DON'T give in....after a few weeks it's going to become easier and easier.  Avoid places and people where you will be exposed to cigarette smoke becuase the smell will be VERY tempting.  Remind yourself every time you start to have a craving WHY you are quitting.  

Quitting smoking it a big accomplishment and it's something to be very proud of!  I quit 8 1/2 years ago and I'm still proud that I was able to do it cold turkey with no relapses!!  
Helpful - 0
i quit cold turkey the night i found out i was prego w/ my first.  i had also only been smoking for a few years at the time, but i could smoke up to 2 packs in a 24 hour period depending on if i was drinking or partying (gross i know!).  now after 6 1/2 years and 4 kids i am still smoke free and loving it!  i did have a hard frist trimester w/ my first partly b/c of not having the nicotine but more just b/c of normal morning sickness.  good luck to you! :)
Helpful - 0
48 hours is a good start, I personally never smoked but my hubby has been smoke free for 8 months now and he was a 5 pack a day smoker. More of a chain smoker. He was on chantix for like 2 days but had stopped since his job would not allow him to use it so he quit cold turkey. He chewed alot of gum not nicotine though it didn't work for him.

good luck with your not smoking =] your doing a great job =]
Helpful - 0
That's true, you've gone so far without nicotine, regular gum could help. You're more strong willed than I am. I would think "maybe just one", and that one would turn into another and another and another...I really just need to quit all together, especially because I, like you, am planning on having another baby in the near future, if all goes as planned. I want to start trying again in Nov/Dec, but I want to lose weight first too...I've got my work cut out for me. I'm proud of you for being able to stick to it...you're giving me hope to be able to drop the habit too! I only have like 4 left in my pack, and it's 11 am, I'm gonna try not to buy another, and tomorrow I can start my quit smoking journey. We can be quitting buddies, lol!
Helpful - 0
I heard all about the controversy so that's why I kind of said, let's just do cold turkey while I am not pregnant.  My boyfriend smokes too although he has been smoke free for 9 hours, (I think since he has seen it's kind of been easy for me he is jealous.  He is super cranky though. lol ) I am lucky too cause the Metformin she put me back on is making me so sick to my stomach so I haven't been able to "eat my stress" from quitting..lol  I admire you though, atleast you quit for the majority of your pregnancy,  My sister smoked like a chimney through her pregnancies and while i don't think one or two a day is really that big of a deal, she was a pack a day the entire pregnancy! I honestly think I will pick the habit back up too but you never know!  I have caught myself a couple times going, well just one isn't going to hurt but then I think about how far I have come and it will undo everything!  I will try regular gum.  I don't want anymore nicotine in my body... but I didn't even think about just regular ol gum to keep me busy.  Thanks :)
Helpful - 0
I found out I was pregnant, while I was smoking. It's a controversy whether or not to wean yourself off because baby is going through the same withdrawals. I weaned myself off, I found out I was pregnant at 5 weeks, and quit at two months, I was continuing to wean and almost got sick smoking one, so I was done after that, I couldn't do it anymore. Good job on 48 hours!!! I unfortunately picked the habit back up when my son was a couple months old, but I do NOT smoke around him, and I wash my hands before I touch him. I refuse to fill his lungs with smoke, if it ever happens it will be his choice when he's old enough to smoke. I'm still working on quitting. Every time I try my husband brings home a pack (he smokes too), it's so hard to quit when you see people smoking...The nicorette gum was working for me, but like I said when I see my husband with one I want one, and I let myself lose control and smoke one...Where's my will power??? The only tip I have for you, is keep your hands busy and stick to it! You're doing good, don't give up, don't be like me, lol. If you need help try the gum, it's a low dose of nicotine, and I don't follow the directions I keep a piece in for about two hours, and it gives my mouth something to do, and gives me a little bit of nicotine. Plus I'm not eating, another bad part of quitting...
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Pregnancy Community