Pregnancy Forum

Period after D&C

Hi-
I had a D&C in November, but as it turns out, there was remaining tissue, so I had another D&C on March 7th.  I have still not gotten my period.  Last weekend I had period-like cramps and I have had bad headaches off and on over the last two weeks.  I thought I was getting my period, but I have had nothing.  What could be the cause of these cramps if no period came?  Could it be that my body was trying to have a period but there was no lining to shed?  

Also, my doctor said I should wait 3 full cycles before trying to conceive again.  Is this necessary?  And could I count this last non-period as one cycle anyway?

Thank you!

Yes, you should probably wait at least two cycles before trying to conceive.  But regarding your absence of menses.  See what happens over the next month.  If you don't have your menses return I'd be concerned you might have developed intra-uterine adhesions (also called Asherman's disease).  This may result in a very light or no menses at all, and affect your fertility.

Best regards,

Dr. Downing
THE CRAMPS COULD BE YOUR BODY TRYING TO HEAL ITSELF...YOUR BODY IS IN SHOCK....AFTER BEING PREGNANT AND THEN NOT BEING THEN TO HAVE THE D&C DONE.......THEY SAY ITS BEST TO WAIT THREE CYCLES BUT ITS FOR YOUR BODYS SAKE...I KNOW PLENTY OF PEOPLE THATS LOST PREGNANCIES AND NEXT MONTH PREGNANT AGAIN.....AND THERE BABIES ARE FINE........  I AM SORRY ABOUT THE LOSE AND GOOD LUCK!!
wow 2 d&C for the same issue? i mean for the same one the first time. or for 2 dif problems?
There was tissue left behind after the first d&c, which was causing my body to still produce HCG.  My levels were dropping each week, so the doctor didn't think there was any tissue left, but we finally did an ultra sound and found that there was tissue remaining. So, we did the 2nd one to get out the left over tissue from the first one.  Now, 6 weeks after the 2nd, still waiting for AF.
Hi waiting,

I had a D&C in feb. and didn't get my period for about 6 weeks.  Obviously its what the Dr. says, but mine told me anywhere from 2 - 8 weeks is pretty normal.  Also, even though I had a really bad miscarriage (I was hemoraging really badly), my dr. told me to wait one cycle, and that was enough.  My understanding is the #of cycles to wait differs from Dr. to Dr.

Anyway, good luck to you, and I am sorry for your loss.
Get information and tips on how to help you choose the right place to deliver your baby.
Get the facts on how twins and multiples are formed and your chance of carrying more than one baby at a time.
Learn about the risks and benefits of circumcision.
What to expect during the first hours after delivery.
Learn about early screening and test options for your pregnancy.
Learn about testing and treatment for GBS bacterium.