Pregnancy Community

Period after conception???

Can you have your full period(menstrual cycle) after you have conceived a child. I just want to know the possibility
It wouldnt be a period only vaginal bleeding, but it is possible to bleed after conceiving.  No ovulation will happen and the period cant happen due to being pregnant.
Its a toss up really. Some drs will say you can have a period others will say no. Its my understanding and I think most womens belief that a period is the shedding of the uterine lining which if you were pregnant I believe it would shed the sac as well which could mean a miscarriage. So I am not sure how someone could have a period and still be pregnant if the definition of a period is the shedding of the uterine lining. That is my personal opinion. But you will get some comments from people saying absolutely you can have a period your whole pregnancy no question asked. I would agree more with the previous poster that you can have vaginal bleeding but it cant really be classified as a "period". I would talk to your dr about it and see what their opinion is.
"Decidual bleeding. This is period-like bleeding (but not your period) when your hormones may get out of whack. It will cause you to lose parts of the lining along the uterine wall. This is especially common in the very early stages of pregnancy because the lining hasn't had a chance to completely attach to the placenta. Although a scary thought, it is not generally considered to be a health risk to neither mother or baby."

This came directly from wikianswers. Number 4 of the types of bleeding you can have while pregnant,but it's the closest to a menstrual cycle if you're pregnant.
How can you tell as far as the bleeding is concerned if its vaginal bleeding or your normal period from each month???
Normally with a period you will have tissue like clots in it. Well thats what my periods were always like. However I never had any vaginal bleeding during my pregnancy. Are you having bleeding?? If so I would contact your dr right away and ask them what to do. Normally if there is any bleeding during pregnancy they want to check you out right away.
If you wear tampons, you might not even notice the difference, but if you suspect you are preg, you shouldn't use tampons. If you wear pads, there's usually some clots whether big or small. But definitely go with what baby1 said