Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Please Help! Miscarriage or Miscalculation?

Hi, all. I'm pregnant (or so I think) and freaking out. Just had my first prenatal appointment this morning. Last cycle began on 6/6/10, which means that due date calculators online and at the doctors suggest I should be about 9 weeks. My cycles are usually longish (33-35 days or so) but were six weeks each in April and May.

Due to some minor bleeding, I was sent for an ultrasound this morning. The tech said that the baby was measuring only 6 weeks and 4 days. They *did* find a heartbeat, but it was 90 bpm approximately (tech said it should be around 170). Everyone at the doctor's office was very grave, very serious, saying the obligatory stuff about how we can still hope--obviously devastating to hear--but I've since read some stories of women's due date calculations just being off by a few days or weeks even. Is it possible I just ovulated late? I mean, it's a good sign that the heart rate and size match, right?

Anyhow, I'm SO SAD and nervous/worried. Any insights, advice, reassurance? I'm headed back for a follow-up ultrasound in a week or two. Sigh. Give me strength, ladies!
6 Responses
809236 tn?1280606158
Unfortunately, the only thing you cad do right now is take your dr's advice and wait another 2 weeks to get another u/s. That will determine if there is any growth in the baby. Also watch for any symptoms like heavy bleeding and cramping... The wait is tough I know, but I hope it  all works out in the end :)
187316 tn?1386356682
It is completely possible to be off in the beginning especially if you ovulated late. Also, at 6 weeks when the heart first starts beating it is usually lower then the recommended 120-160 and then jumps up higher a couple weeks later to be little over 160. At 6w3d my daughters heart rate was only 95 bpm and she is now 2 1/2.
1330108 tn?1333677304
Hang in there. Only time will tell but hopefully you just ovulated late or the egg to it's sweet time implanting and everything will be fine :)
Hi again. Pretty worried--seems like a foregone conclusion. Though I've come to terms with the late ovulation theory, today I was mainly fine but am now having some cramping pains (mild to medium) and the blood has switched from light & brown to medium and brown-red. Sigh. I'd like to keep hoping, but...

Another visit to the doctor's tomorrow. Will keep you updated.
Well, it turns out it wasn't my time. Now I just have to wait for the *physical* pain to come distract me from the sadness I feel. Better luck to those of you still carrying.
Sorry for your loss...you are in our thoughts and prayers.
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Pregnancy Community

Top Pregnancy Answerers
13167 tn?1327194124
Austin, TX
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Get information and tips on how to help you choose the right place to deliver your baby.
Get the facts on how twins and multiples are formed and your chance of carrying more than one baby at a time.
Learn about the risks and benefits of circumcision.
What to expect during the first hours after delivery.
Learn about early screening and test options for your pregnancy.
Learn about testing and treatment for GBS bacterium.