Pregnancy Community

Pregnancy Weight

Ok so far in this pregnancy i have gained 26lbs..I asked my Ob if this was bad and he said he wasnt concerned because i always go back down to a size 5 within 3 months postpartum anyway. But im wondering if i keep gaining weight this fast will it increase the chance of me having a big baby? I have a little frame and dont want to risk having a c-section. But i cant help it i want to eat literally every hour and if i dont eat a meal im snacking all day. Is this bad for my baby? when i had my 18 week sono he was already 1lb..is that heavy for 18 weeks??
Usually at 18 weeks baby will weigh between 5-7 ounces. Baby is a bit bigger than the average, and your weight gain is also quite high for your point. Most gain around 10-15 pounds by this point and you're almost double that. If you're not careful, you could gain quite a bit of weight by the end of the pregnancy, regardless of how fast you normally lose it in others. You only need around 500 extra calories a day, so you can just add in a snack or two to the 3 meals you eat a day or 6 smaller meals you should have.

In regards to if it will hurt the baby, I don't think it would unless you ate nothing but junk foods.
18 weeks 1lbs? That seems big at 29 weeks mine was 2 lbs I don't know what's normal because ive been told mines on the smaller side. But I watched this programme called obese and pregnant and they were in the sum off 300+ pounds and eating junk food and everything and one ladies baby was only 6lbs4 so i wouldn't say what you eat nessiserily means you'll have a bigger baby because they didn't
I dont eat junk, i snack on fruits, boiled eggs, things like that I was normal weight when i found out i was pregnant and my BMI was normal. I just dont know if my weight gain will effect the baby.
at my 32 week app monday i have gained 33 pounds so far and my OB hasn't said one word about my weight so i guess im doing ok.
I eat when im hungry but it seems like im always hungry. could there be something wrong with me as far as that goes?
no. your body has more to do which means it needs more fuel to burn. Plus as long as ur not cramming down the junk food (which was alot of my problem) then its natural to be hungry again soon. they even say that 6 small meals a day is the best way to go. so with snacks that about 8 or times eating a day ya kno
ive gained 30 pounds already and im almost 16 weeks pregnant, this is my third child and no matter how controlled my eating is i still gain alot of weight, my first 2 for the entire pregnancy was almost a very gross 80 pounds I gained i lose it right away but i just seem to put on alot of weight, i start thin, and get very heavy, this pregnancy seems no different then my first 2 :(
If you go to your My Pregnancy app, there should be a graph of normal weight gain for each week of your pregnancy. What does that say?
i'm totally opposite! i'm 25wks today and have only gained 1lb! I keep asking my doctor if it's okay and he doesn't seemed concerned. my baby is growing fine and weighs a little over a pound. i do eat, but just can't seem to gain weight!
like when i posted i was eating :) one of those deli creation sandwhiches and now its 4:39 and im hungry again! like thats what i mean its annoying i cant even leave the house with out taking a snack with me because i know im going to get hungry lol
I gained 50 lbs my first pregnancy and my daughter only weighed 7 lbs 5 ounces. She was my smallest of all my three girls. With my second I gained 26 lbs (I think, or around there but no more than that) and she weighed the heaviest at 8 lbs 8 ounces (though this is still an average weight for baby; this is NOT a large weight for a newborn).

I don't think your weight gain has anything to do with baby. But I think smoking, taking drugs (prescrip or street), drinking, gestational diabetes, etc. would have more effect on the weight of your baby than what you're eating.

I've heard of tiny, tiny women having 10 lb babies and I've heard of obese women having little 6-lbers.

That being said, so long as you are eating healthfully and drinking plenty of water you are doing what you can. Some women just gain more weight than others no matter what they do. AND I just want to emphasize that you gaining more weight doesn't mean your baby will be huge.

Finally I want to say that sonograms can be off on measurements of baby by a couple lbs either way. It's difficult to measure solids floating in liquid as the water is constantly moving and changing. It does affect the measurements. If you do have a larger baby I want to encourage you that they can still be born vaginally. Large baby doesn't mean automatic cesarean. Get into a position that is optimal for opening up the pelvis wide and womens' bodies can do some amazing things to birth larger-than-average babies.
TO: nic374
How big were your babies when they were born? average or were they heavier since you gained alot?