Pregnancy Community

Pregnancy and Should I be concerned about indirect lead paint exposure?

We are getting our house ready for the holidays and have someone help clean our house. She was cleaning the dining room windows and a cloud of dust and paint chips blew in while I was talking to her. Our house was built in 1951 so am sure it’s lead paint and I’m freaking out. She vacuumed it all up and I left the room but is there anything I should do? I’m very scared that this harmed my baby (I’m 21 weeks pregnant and terrified now). I also suffer from extreme OCD and hypochondria so reading the internet on this topic has been detrimental.
That exposure, alone, is not concerning.  Lead poisoning is usually from exposure over time - not a single incident like the one you described.  

However, lead-based paint that is cracking, chipping, or peeling is definitely a long-term concern.  https://www.epa.gov/lead/protect-your-family-exposures-lead
You should check whether your home really has lead-based paint - it may have been removed by previous owners.  You can buy a kit to test at your local hardware store, or hire a professional inspector to be absolutely certain.
Thank you for your response! If the cracked paint is contained now in the windows, I should be ok until we replace the windows correct?
Yes - exposure is through ingestion or dust particles in the air.  If it is contained, it can't harm you.
Thank you so much. What about handling a lamp that has a prop 65 warning about lead? I’m just so worried now because I’m pregnant and I was handling it.
How old is the lamp? I doubt it has significant amounts of lead in it.  Prop 65 warnings, in general, can be safely ignored as that label is on virtually everything in California.  Unless the lamp is ancient, it's unlikely to contain any lead.  Also, again, lead exposure is from lead dust (inhaling) or ingesting, not from touching intact, non-degraded objects that contain lead.