Aa
A
A
A
Close
Pregnancy Community
72.3k Members

Pregnancy and Should I be concerned about indirect lead paint exposure?

We are getting our house ready for the holidays and have someone help clean our house. She was cleaning the dining room windows and a cloud of dust and paint chips blew in while I was talking to her. Our house was built in 1951 so am sure it’s lead paint and I’m freaking out. She vacuumed it all up and I left the room but is there anything I should do? I’m very scared that this harmed my baby (I’m 21 weeks pregnant and terrified now). I also suffer from extreme OCD and hypochondria so reading the internet on this topic has been detrimental.
1 Responses
3191940 tn?1447272317
That exposure, alone, is not concerning.  Lead poisoning is usually from exposure over time - not a single incident like the one you described.  

However, lead-based paint that is cracking, chipping, or peeling is definitely a long-term concern.  https://www.epa.gov/lead/protect-your-family-exposures-lead
You should check whether your home really has lead-based paint - it may have been removed by previous owners.  You can buy a kit to test at your local hardware store, or hire a professional inspector to be absolutely certain.
4 Comments
Thank you for your response! If the cracked paint is contained now in the windows, I should be ok until we replace the windows correct?
Yes - exposure is through ingestion or dust particles in the air.  If it is contained, it can't harm you.
Thank you so much. What about handling a lamp that has a prop 65 warning about lead? I’m just so worried now because I’m pregnant and I was handling it.
How old is the lamp? I doubt it has significant amounts of lead in it.  Prop 65 warnings, in general, can be safely ignored as that label is on virtually everything in California.  Unless the lamp is ancient, it's unlikely to contain any lead.  Also, again, lead exposure is from lead dust (inhaling) or ingesting, not from touching intact, non-degraded objects that contain lead.
Have an Answer?
Top Pregnancy Answerers
13167 tn?1327197724
Austin, TX
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Get information and tips on how to help you choose the right place to deliver your baby.
Get the facts on how twins and multiples are formed and your chance of carrying more than one baby at a time.
Learn about the risks and benefits of circumcision.
What to expect during the first hours after delivery.
Learn about early screening and test options for your pregnancy.
Learn about testing and treatment for GBS bacterium.