Pregnancy Forum

Pregnant and Concerned

Hello I am 4 weeks and 6 days pregnant. I have had 3 miscarriages since Sept.06. I recently changed doctors and he is not checking my HCG levels every 48 hours like my old doctor. I have a high anticardiolipin antibody and my progesteron levels are low. He doesn't want to monitor my HCG levels and he isn't even planning on doing an ultrasound my next visit which is Nov. 16th. Should he be more concerned since it is considered a HIGH RISK pregnancy? I would really appreciate any advice I could get. Thanks!

If you have a normally developing intrauterine pregnancy (and it sounds like you do) there is no utility to checking hCG levels.  There is no evidence that progesterone supplementation is helpful in these circumstances to help prevent a miscarriage (although it is often used).  Also, with high anti-cardiolipin ab levels there is no clear well proven therapeutic intervention.  Some physicians will use low dose aspirin and/or heparin to decrease the chance of a poor outcome, but the data on this is also limited.  

However, the larger issue is that you need to feel comfortable with the obstetrician managing your care and if that is not the case you should seek a second opinion or care elsewhere.

Best regards,

Dr. Downing
Get information and tips on how to help you choose the right place to deliver your baby.
Get the facts on how twins and multiples are formed and your chance of carrying more than one baby at a time.
Learn about the risks and benefits of circumcision.
What to expect during the first hours after delivery.
Learn about early screening and test options for your pregnancy.
Learn about testing and treatment for GBS bacterium.