Pregnancy Community

Pregnant with svt

I am 23 years old and pregnant with my second child. I was diagnosed with svt 2 months ago and am in otherwise great health. No diabetes, healthy weight, and normal organ functions. I am just concerned with the baby since I have been on 25mg Metoprolol during the first 5 weeks. Will this have any effect on my baby? I was told only to take the meds as needed, is this safe?
yes metoprolol is considered one of the safer beta blockers, but usually they prescribe propanolol. as long as it's not atenolol you should be fine...and you may want to request that they refer you to a Maternal Fetal Medicine specialist who can do growth ultrasounds and make sure the beta blocker is not affecting the baby's growth, because beta blockers have the potential to slow fetal growth...I've been on a beta blocker my entire pregnancy and I saw a MFM who measured my son for growth....not even the slightest sign of growth delay, in fact they expect him to be huge.

Good luck, and there's another post on here about dealing with SVT/tachycardia while pregnant you may want to look at "palpitations and shortness of breath while lying down" I think is the title....congrats on the pregnancy :)