Pregnancy Community
72.3k Members
1901977 tn?1333995326

Single parents and health insurance for the baby

Hi, I'm about to have my first baby, and the baby's father and I aren't married or in a relationship anymore, but we're planning on raising her together. However, we both have good jobs with good insurance - I'm just not sure whose insurance she should go under? How does this work for single parents who both have insurance? Is there any particular reason why she should be under mine?
7 Responses
Avatar universal
I do know if you have any state assistance or child support they like to see his as a primary insurance... however i think ultimately it's a personal choice whichever you prefer. You could do his as primary and yours as secondary. Or vice versa. It's good to have the baby under both.
Avatar universal
I guess i should say i do know that's how it works where i live.
1901977 tn?1333995326
We're getting some legal paperwork drawn up after she gets here, but we're bypassing the official state child support right now and trying to do it a little more informally. Inevitably, I'll end up paying more for her than he does...you know child support is a joke compared to what kids need, but I also make a good 20 grand more than he does. So no state assistance, and while he'll be contributing, no state-run child support.

I'm asking more because my default plan was just to add her to my insurance for now. But if his insurance costs less monthly and is just as good, I'm wondering if we should place her under his policy. We'd both be contributing to her monthly medical costs either way, I'm just wondering if there is any particular benefit to keeping her under my insurance or any particular rules about these things.
1901977 tn?1333995326
Does anybody know, does it matter for tax purposes? I do plan on claiming her.
2020005 tn?1476662562
I don't believe it matters one way or the other, my SIL and her boyfriend aren't married, and have two different insurances, his costed less, so she just put the baby under her boyfriends insurance, no problems have arose this way. I know your situation is a bit different due to you two not being together, but as long as the insurances are similar in coverage, I would say go for his if it's cheaper!
2020005 tn?1476662562
I'm actually not sure about taxes though, I've never filed long form, just not worth it for us, and I'm not sure if that's something that would make a difference, you could always call whoever does your taxes and ask them!
Avatar universal
As far as the insurance goes, I would look into which is the better coverage, even better, put her on both so she can be double covered, if possible...with kids it's always better to have more because you just never know. Last year I ended up paying my son's whole deductible because of his asthma, and let me tell ya, I wish he was double covered at the time
Have an Answer?
Top Pregnancy Answerers
13167 tn?1327197724
Austin, TX
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Get information and tips on how to help you choose the right place to deliver your baby.
Get the facts on how twins and multiples are formed and your chance of carrying more than one baby at a time.
Learn about the risks and benefits of circumcision.
What to expect during the first hours after delivery.
Learn about early screening and test options for your pregnancy.
Learn about testing and treatment for GBS bacterium.