Pregnancy Forum

Slow rising HCG level

I have been to the doctor and pregnancy was confirmed along with an HCG level drawn. The level was around 4000. I was told this was where it needed to be considering the first day of my last period was December 1, 2009. I had another level drawn yesterday and it had only gone up a hundred points or so. I had a ultrasound this am and there was a heartbeat and the size of the fetus was where it needed to be.They started me on Progesterone and told me no heavy lifting. Should I have them repeat my level to make sure there was not a lab error? Since there is a heartbeat and fetal size is where it should be is there any need to be concerned? Could this just be the start of a miscarriage? Any information would be greatly appreciated
Hi!
Your lab data IS confusing, but the good news is that the ultrasound trumps the blood work.  If they can see an appropriately-sized fetal pole with a heart beat, there is about a 90% chance that the pregnancy will continue.  If you were my patient, I would advise you NOT to do any more blood levels, because I would not really know how to interpret them!  I would probably repeat an ultrasound in a week to two weeks though, just to be sure that the baby was growing appropriately.  I might also check a progesterone level.  Both tests are really over-kill and don't HAVE to be done.  
I definitely DO recommend that you report any bleeding or severe cramping symptoms, but other than that, I think you are on your way!
Good luck!
Dr B
Try not to stress yourself and pray. GOD IS A GOD OF MIRACLES. I was told and have read not every woman is alike. Every woman will not have high or  fast rising hcg levels . Women have deliverd beautiful healthy babies with low hcg levels. You can not base your pregnancy on the levels. I was worrying myself to death because of that. My first hcg level was 107 and I was told they were concernd about it being etopic or me miscarrying. I told the nurse that she should not go by my last menstrual period because I know when I  conceived which was a week later. My 2nd hcg level was 252 and my third was 3229. I still have to have another test done next week.
Each woman pregnancy progress at different rates. So just think positive and positve things will happen

sme1spcl
Get information and tips on how to help you choose the right place to deliver your baby.
Get the facts on how twins and multiples are formed and your chance of carrying more than one baby at a time.
Learn about the risks and benefits of circumcision.
What to expect during the first hours after delivery.
Learn about early screening and test options for your pregnancy.
Learn about testing and treatment for GBS bacterium.