Pregnancy Community

To circumcise?

I'm having a baby boy in June and I'm already finding it very difficult to make the decision to circumcise him. =/ The paper I got from my Dr. said that the benefits and the risks are both too small to swing the vote either way, that the decision is a parental one NOT a medical one. I just don't want to put him through any sort of agonizing pain, what is everyone's take on this? Did you have your son circumcised and do you know how he reacted to it?
I'm also having a boy in a few weeks and I've heard it all.
I am going to circumcise my child but the doc is right- there's no medical reason for it.
For me it's cleaner and nicer. As for the pain, when there that young it's not that bad. My friend just had her son circumcised and he cried for 2 min and then he was fine.
In the end it's your preference- don't let anyone push you to make the decision. :)
My son was born in Jan and we had him circumcised.  I was so worried it would hurt him and be horrible but they give him something for the pain and after he really only cried when we changed him and had to put the vasaline gel and gauze on him.
i don't have any kids of my own but my df isnt circumcised. and both ladies are right. its a personal choice. as long as you teach him good hygiene as he gets older you should be fine. Also wanted to share my sister had my nephew done and they messed up and had to get it redone when he was bout 2. horrible! so make sure your doc knows what he's doing!
Definitely a personal choice. And since you're asking for personal opinions I will be circumcising any sons we have. I believe it is cleaner and healthier (again a personal belief and not necessarily one based on medical evidence as there are none out there that I have found). There are ways to make the ordeal less traumatic to baby (such as topical anesthetic or using a "bell" instead of cutting it off). You can also wait until they are older and let them decide for themselves.

I have heard all the arguments, especially from anti-circ folks. I still feel circumcision is the right choice for our family.
I will not circumcise my son if I have one, I strongly oppose it. My husband is not circumcised and believe me, there are no hygienic issues. I believe no little boy should go through this only a couple days after he's born. Also, research shows that it desenthetizes the penis for him later. There's no medical reason for this, it's painful and I believe that human body is perfect the way it's created, how can we choose a body part and just decide to get rid of it? Also,  about 90% of the world's male population is uncircumcized, think about it.
Again, you asked for our opinion, I gave you mine, I also like the idea of letting him decide when he grows up.
I dont think i would do it but my sister recently took her four year old cause he had a lil rash down there and they said that they should ccsize him cause it will keep happening..but hes tooo old now and it will hurt him now moen then as a baby! Hope this helps
We choose to circumcise. We actually have a mohel come to our house so it's done in the comfort of our own home and then I am able to nurse them right away and comfort them. The process is literally 30 seconds. I can remember my boys crying for maybe a minute and then they were fine. He used a topical medicine to numb it and before you know it, it's over. My boys never had any issues and never cried in pain after that. It healed in under a week. I'm having a girl this time around, so I don't have to worry about this process this time. But it's what we choose to do for health reasons mostly. My husband's grandfather was not circumcised until he was 22 because he went into the navy and everyone was forced to get it done (for healthy reasons). He said, it's better to have it done as a baby when you won't remember it because as an adult it's one of the most painful things for a man to go through. He was traumatized by it. For us, it's what we choose to do and so far, it's been fine.

I think it's something you and your hubby should agree on 100% and research it and see what is best for your family.
*for health reasons ----can't type lately!!
I have 3 sons and all were circumsized.  All 3 of my sons also had hidden penis syndrome when they were born which is extremely rare.  In fact the doctor told me that he had never seen siblings suffering from the same condition.  So two of my boys were circumsized at birth and my middle one was when he was about 6 months old when he had the corrective surgery.  He actually didn't have much in the way of foreskin since he had the borth defect.  My oldest also had an undescended testicle and had to have another surgery when he was nearly 5.  My vote is to either do it or wait to see if they want to do it.  I can also mention that when I did my CNA rotations for schooling they kept talking about the implications of foreskin and how very important the care is for the seniors that were in the home we were working at.  They said that one student or nurse forgot to pull the skin back to original position after cleaning and the man had to have an emergency cicumcision when he was 78 because the blood got stuck it when he had an erection.  Again that just cemented it in my mind that I would never wish that upon my children.  Hope that helps!
I didn't read any of the comments above so I hope not to offend any 1. But my sister didn't circumsize her 2 yougest boys.. And I think it makes there weiners look gross, just plain weird.. And when u bathe them u have to move the skin every which way to make sure the crevesses are clean, ugh grosses me out. All 3 of my boys are circumsized.. And I couldn't imagine it any other way.. I don't believe they go through a whole lot of pain, of course they cry.. I just alwYs made DH take them to the procedure. And he won't even remember it! Also if daddy is circumsized I would most def circumsize ur son.. He might feel like something is wrong with his weiner.. I know my nephew feels that way when he's around my boys..
My two boys are both done.  It was done in the hospital the day after they were born.  They didn't seem to be affected by it in any way and didn't seem to suffer any pain when I changed, wiped, bathed them etc.  If this baby is a boy he wil also have it done.  I would hate to have them have to go through that later on in life when it would be very painful and they would remember it!
I am not sure what I am having yet, but if it's a boy I will definitely have him circumcised. I just think it looks better and is cleaner. Little boys don't always have the best hygiene even if you try and teach them to. Also a friend of my brother in laws was not circumcised and he was so embarrassed all through high school that he had it done at 18. At that point it's not just an easy in-office procedure it's a surgery. I'm not sure why his parents chose not to, but he wishes they had.