A
A
A
Close
Pregnancy Community
72.3k Members
1395422 tn?1308019851

To circumcise?

I'm having a baby boy in June and I'm already finding it very difficult to make the decision to circumcise him. =/ The paper I got from my Dr. said that the benefits and the risks are both too small to swing the vote either way, that the decision is a parental one NOT a medical one. I just don't want to put him through any sort of agonizing pain, what is everyone's take on this? Did you have your son circumcised and do you know how he reacted to it?
47 Responses
I'm also having a boy in a few weeks and I've heard it all.
I am going to circumcise my child but the doc is right- there's no medical reason for it.
For me it's cleaner and nicer. As for the pain, when there that young it's not that bad. My friend just had her son circumcised and he cried for 2 min and then he was fine.
In the end it's your preference- don't let anyone push you to make the decision. :)
1431138 tn?1294570494
My son was born in Jan and we had him circumcised.  I was so worried it would hurt him and be horrible but they give him something for the pain and after he really only cried when we changed him and had to put the vasaline gel and gauze on him.
1512722 tn?1313701479
i don't have any kids of my own but my df isnt circumcised. and both ladies are right. its a personal choice. as long as you teach him good hygiene as he gets older you should be fine. Also wanted to share my sister had my nephew done and they messed up and had to get it redone when he was bout 2. horrible! so make sure your doc knows what he's doing!
Definitely a personal choice. And since you're asking for personal opinions I will be circumcising any sons we have. I believe it is cleaner and healthier (again a personal belief and not necessarily one based on medical evidence as there are none out there that I have found). There are ways to make the ordeal less traumatic to baby (such as topical anesthetic or using a "bell" instead of cutting it off). You can also wait until they are older and let them decide for themselves.

I have heard all the arguments, especially from anti-circ folks. I still feel circumcision is the right choice for our family.
1483631 tn?1319232246
I will not circumcise my son if I have one, I strongly oppose it. My husband is not circumcised and believe me, there are no hygienic issues. I believe no little boy should go through this only a couple days after he's born. Also, research shows that it desenthetizes the penis for him later. There's no medical reason for this, it's painful and I believe that human body is perfect the way it's created, how can we choose a body part and just decide to get rid of it? Also,  about 90% of the world's male population is uncircumcized, think about it.
Again, you asked for our opinion, I gave you mine, I also like the idea of letting him decide when he grows up.
1487690 tn?1316764185
I dont think i would do it but my sister recently took her four year old cause he had a lil rash down there and they said that they should ccsize him cause it will keep happening..but hes tooo old now and it will hurt him now moen then as a baby! Hope this helps
Have an Answer?
Top Pregnancy Answerers
13167 tn?1327197724
Austin, TX
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Get information and tips on how to help you choose the right place to deliver your baby.
Get the facts on how twins and multiples are formed and your chance of carrying more than one baby at a time.
Learn about the risks and benefits of circumcision.
What to expect during the first hours after delivery.
Learn about early screening and test options for your pregnancy.
Learn about testing and treatment for GBS bacterium.