Pregnancy Community

Vaccine?

I'm 31 weeks and today my doctor told me I should get the pertussis vaccination, Tdap for whooping cough? I was wondering if any of you ladies got told they should get it?
My baby was perfectly fine after the vaccine, I had a little bit of a temperature but nothing that didn't go overnight. I'd rather risk feeling a little ill myself than even the slightest risk of her getting whooping cough, it's extremely dangerous to babies. I sat and spoke to my midwife before having it and she said that they wouldn't offer it if it wasn't safe. Each to their own though, my mum never vaccinated me and I was fine.
I got it qith my first baby and this baby.

Vaccines do not cause autism. Even look at Autism Speaks which is one onf the largest autism awareness and advocates says that autism is not caused by vaccines. They even urge people to get their kids vaccinated. So how about you do research kylialyssah before you tell someone else to. If you want to know where to find it, it is at www.autismspeaks.org/science/policy-statements/information-about-vaccines-and-autism.

Now as far as the Tdap vaccine during pregnancy, the reason it is recommended is because whopping cough has been on the rise. When you have whopping cough it's a million times worse than a cold. There are adults that get it that end up coughing so hard that they break ribs. Now think of an infant having that. Doctors want you to get the Tdap booster so that the benifits from the booster is given to the baby. When you breastfeed yes your baby will get some of your antibodies but not necessarily all. Its like after I had my first I ended up with a really bad cold. She didn't catch it because she was reciving antibodies for the sickness I caught AFTER having her.
I got it with my first pregnancy and I'll get it again. Infants can die from whooping cough and there is no way to treat an infant for it. If you get the shot while pregnant then you pass on any immunity you build up to your baby. Personally, I can't imagine not getting vaccinated to protect my child.
I did it and highly recommend it, anything that will help your baby come out stronger. I didn't necessarily want it cause I normally am terrible with shots but this time I was actually good
I got it. I figure its better to try and be safe. Our immunities go down as pregnant women so protecting my baby and myself seemed like the right thing to do.
I got mine . as a paramedic I've had many newborn patients DOA due to pertussis ... Its heart breaking
I had a family member die from whopping cough. I got my shot.
Thank you ladies! I researched a lot more and I've decided I will get the vaccine
Lol MJP why is it on the label as a possible side effect if it doesn't cause autism. I've done plenty of research so don't jump down my throat. Chemists and doctors alike agree to vaccinations having a possible side effect of causing autism. & kids can get whooping cough whether their vaccinated or not. There's been plenty of studies of more kids getting pertussis after they were vaccinated vs kids who aren't vaccinated. If you want to vaccinate your kid then that's on you, but its a huge controversial issue whether or not vaccinations have a side effect of autism, I've done plenty of research so don't get attitude, its just my opinion off the research I've done
& what doesn't make sense to me about that article is they say that they are unsure of the specific cause of autism they have multiple sources of causes of autism including from time of conception, genes from the parents, mutations from the pregnancy, complications during birth and now they are talking about possible problems from the immune system, which vaccines play a role in a child's immune system. So if they are still investigating the exact cause of why each person has autism how can they say vaccines do not have a link to autism. Doesn't make any sense to me. How could they even study that!! & not to mention that in the last 40 years there has been a huge increase in autism, coincidentally that's about the same time frame vaccinations have been increased. Coincidence or not? Everyone has their own opinions & I was just sharing mine. Don't come at me with an article that doesn't even make logical sense. Thats the problem with people today. They never question anything they just think its true because someone said so. Lol!!
http://www.babycenter.com/0_vaccines-and-autism-separating-fact-from-fiction_1470554.bc#articlesection1
i will be getting mine along with my family members who will be around my baby .. the poor baby who died in Oklahoma was so close to being able to vr vaccinated but died before the 2 months . i think it's a fantastic idea to get you vaccinated and anyone around your baby.
There was just a bunch of stuff in the news about the myth of vaccines and autism.
Just got mine today! Its definitely a smart option. Why allow for something to happen that is completely preventable?
Lol, pharmaceutical companies, the news & the government wants you to believe what they want you to believe. People need to open their minds more. This country is sad. Controlled by the media. To each their own I just don't understand how people don't see everything for what it really is. I feel bad for this generation & the ones to come if we can't educate our children on what this world is becoming.
Thanks maw4389. That is more awsome information!
I also found this...

What Causes Autism?

Because autism runs in families, most researchers think that certain combinations of genes may predispose a child to autism. But there are risk factors that increase the chance of having a child with autism.

Advanced age of the mother or the father increases the chance of an autistic child.

When a pregnant woman is exposed to certain drugs or chemicals, her child is more likely to be autistic. These risk factors include the use of alcohol, maternal metabolic conditions such as diabetes and obesity, and the use of antiseizure drugs during pregnancy. In some cases, autism has been linked to untreated phenylketonuria (called PKU, an inborn metabolic disordercaused by the absence of an enzyme) and rubella (German measles).

Although sometimes cited as a cause of autism, there is no evidence that vaccinations cause autism.  

Exactly why autism happens isn't clear. Research suggests that it may arise from abnormalities in parts of the brain that interpret sensory input and process language. 

Researchers have no evidence that a child's psychological environment -- such as how caregivers treat the child -- causes autism.

WebMD Medical Reference

View Article Sources

Reviewed by Patricia Quinn, MD on March 09, 2014

© 2014 WebMD, LLC. All rights reserved.
CDC.gov/vaccines/side-effects states that vaccinations side effects can cause permanent brain damage yet vaccines don't cause autism. Once again doesn't make sense. How can something cause permanent brain damage but not autism.
I really appreciate the research you've done maw4389. I have a friend that never vaccinated her son and get all her information from her cousin who is a stay at home mom. They gave me all this information on how vaccinations are bad and had me scared out of my mind to give my daughter vaccines. Then I did my own research and spoke with doctors. They set my mind at ease. My daughter has had all her vaccines because I want her to be as safe as possible.  Besides I had vaccines and turned out just fine.
You should really go and read this article, maybe it will open up your mind a little coming from a chemist. Its
thepeopleschemist.com/reasons-dont-vaccinate-children-vaccine-supporters-shouldnt-give
Doctors barely research the affects of vaccinations in medical school just so your aware.
Hope you can read this article and get some information out of it whether you vaccinate or not. Its very informative
Kylialyssah how about we just agree to disagree. You're never going to change my mind just like I will not change yours. This argument is kinda like arguing with a anti-gay religious person about being pro-gay. Its pointless.
I'm honestly not arguing, I'm not against people who vaccinate their children, I'm just trying to educate you on my perspective since you wanted to jump down my throat on how I need to do research before I suggest other people doing research. I feel like so many people choose to vaccinate because they talked to doctors and doctors said to do so without really doing their own research on what they are putting in their child's bodies. Doctors are supposed to be promoting vaccinations because they have contracts with the pharmaceutical companies. Same with all these drugs that doctors promote if you have a headache or are feeling nauseous. & yes I've done research on that as well. I get defensive when people come at me they way you originally did, I've done so much research I've drove myself crazy. I just would like you to realize that I've made an extremely informed decision about my choice on not vaccinating my child & I was sharing my opinion to the originator of this post. I'm not trying to change your mind, I'm just trying to make your realize that this is such a controversial issue & that just because you don't agree with my outlook on all of this doesn't give you the right to tell me to educate myself or do some research when my choice is all based off hours of research, educating myself & first hand experience on seeing the effects on children who are vaccinated vs children who are not vaccinated.
Autism isn't caused by vaccines. I wish people would stop saying it. As someone who has siblings and other family members with autism , and someone who's volunteered at the autism learning center, and someone who talks to professionals about autism, it isn't true. I know tons of children who's parents decided not to get them vaccinated and they have severe autism. It's not vaccinations. And when people think their child started acting star be after a certain age, it's usually around the age autism because prominent.
I'm not saying autism is caused by vaccines, let me make that clear. Autism is a possible side effect of vaccines. Like I mentioned, autism has so many causes they can't pinpoint the exact cause of autism for each person so vaccines can't be ruled out. I've known people with autism, volunteered around people with autism and other neurological problems and have done lots of research on it. Talking with people about it does not rule out vaccines as a possible contribution of autism. Some children are born with autism and other birth defects due to mutations and other factors that have nothing to do with vaccinations. & other children are born fine, perfectly healthy & develop neurological defects or autism & so vaccinations can't be ruled out. Just that everyone keeps saying there's not proof that vaccinations can cause autism but the fact that on a government website it mentions permanent brain damage as a side effect of vaccinations makes me curious of how that can be a side effect but then people keep saying that it doesn't cause autism??
Because they've done studies on children who didn't get any vaccines amd have severe autism. I've gone to the Marcus center and talked to the people who do genetic testing . They'll tell you vaccines have nothing to do with autism
Lol OK so they've done studies on every child who has autism & can 100% rule out vaccines not having anything to do with autism. Yet vaccines have a proven side effect to cause permanent brain damage coming from the CDC. Doesn't make sense to me but if that's your logic more power to you.
No trying to be rude that all, but @kylialyssah it seems to me that you said you are not against people that vaccinate, but your shoving what u believe down everyone's throat and trying to convince everyone that your 100% right and everyone else is wrong. I don't think babies should get every single vaccination just to have tgem,  but are u willing to take a chance on your baby getting measles, or polio and getting very ill to point of death... not worth it to me..but that's just my opinion.
I agree kendalleblanc.
T-tetanus
D-diptheria
A-and
P-pertussis

If any of you had a tetanus shot in the last ten years you've already been vaccinated for pertussis (whooping cough). The CDC highly recommends that all pregnant women get vaccinated regardless of the last time they got the shot. I guarantee that most of you have already been vaccinated, so you might as well do it again for the sake of your baby.
I got mine! Even if there was a possible chance of autism I'm not a selfish person... I would rather raise a child with autism rather than them being dead from getting a preventable virus.
@ Jennifer, you read my mind!
Exactly!
Just so people know vaccinations do not make your child immune, there's alot of children who continue to get the diseases even though they have been vaccinations. Your not being rude & I'm not shoving what I believe down peoples throats, just trying to see peoples logic behind what they keep saying. There is no logic behind these beliefs & every time I show my logic there is no response on what I'm saying. Idk if its because these are really young parents on these posts or if people are really that uneducated but I've given my opinion. Good luck to everyone whether they choose to vaccinate or not.
But just because someone disagrees with you doesn't make them uneducated. Your logic doesn't make it right just because u say it does.
The CDC article says that the reported cases of permanent brain damage from vaccines are so rare that they can't be sure if it was caused by the vaccine or not. I'll take that chance :)
Just saying kylialyssah based on a previous post that said you're 21 I can guarantee I'm older than you. I get on all the different age groups because I've been through pregnancy and like to help/give my opinion. And I'm not uneducated. The first vaccine they want to give babies is the hep b before they leave the hospital. I denied it at first so I could get more information on it. And it was not pushed by the docror because she's contracted. We had a indepth coversation about it as well as doing my own research prior. and a child can't get the mmr vaccine until 18 months. Yes there are children that cannot get vaccines and who the vaccines do not work for. However rhat is where the "herd community" comes in. Surround yourself with people that have been vaccinated even ifit didn't work on you the less likely you will get it. There was a peditrician whose daughter was going through chemo and a unvaccinated adult who had measles went to a clinic where the child was and the child and her 10 month old brother had to be quarenteened. Think what that feeling was like for those parents. Already having to watch their daughter fight off a very deadly disease that only has treatments,  to now on top of that having to worry about her possibly breaking out with measles. I wish people would srop saying people are young or uneducated because they think differently.
Please get this shot. The tdap shot can save your child. Whooping cough kills infants. I got mine recently.
Hepatitis B is a sexually transmitted disease, but it is spread in other ways, too. This is a hardy virus that can exist on almost any surface for up to one month. You can get infected through contact with an infected person's blood or body fluids. The hepatitis B virus can be spread in the following ways:
•unprotected vaginal or anal sex
•living in a household with a person with chronic (life-long) HBV infection
•sharing personal care items such as toothbrushes, razors, or nail clippers
•mother passing the infection to her infant during birth
•sharing needles or paraphernalia (works) for illegal drug use
•tattooing or body piercing with unsterile equipment
•human bites

Do you think that your child will not get a bite from another child. How do you know the other child is not infected?

They have to put the warnings on the label so they will not get sued if it was to ever be proven that the vaccines do cause some of those things. As of now it has not been proven and no link has been found. There is also a chance that your shampoo, other hygine or cleaning products may cause autisum. Are you going to stop using them? tons of things could cause it so you might want to put baby in a bubble and never clean them with anything but water if you are that concerned about something that no one really knows the cause.

I am not attacking anyone just giving my opinion. I am much older than most in this age group and am a nurse and yes I got my shot to protect my baby. I do not believe in all vaccines but anything I can do to protect my children from some of the stuff out there I will do what is needed.  Some vaccines have more of a risk than benefit so you really need to research and choose the ones that best fit your family. I personally get my children most of the recommended vaccinations.
She said "not saying your like that but you sound kind of nuts to be honest." I know measles can kill people, I'm was saying that this specific outbreak of measles didn't kill a single person. I just feel safer not giving my child vaccinations & I hate that people bash me for it. I didn't mean to offend you when I said I'm not sure if people are just youjg or uneducated more on the logic behind arguments. So i apologize for that if you took it as an offense, ghat was not my intention. Lots of thinhs can cause birth defects & I've also done my research on the toxicity of shampoos, body wash, and all other things that can be absorbed through my baby's skin. I'm choosing what I'm doing to protect my child just like others are making their choices to protect their child. I just don't want to be disrespected. I too sit at home, as you can tell, & have nothing else better to do then go back & forth on a chat board since I'm 40 weeks lol. So I'm glad I can help for the entertainment. I just don't want any disrespect.
Get tha shot. My 2 are just done & so is,my unborn. & I hope whoever "doesn't believe" in vaccinations believe in homeschooling because NO SCHOOL OR DAYCARE will take any child that isnt up to date on their immunizations.
Fine*
Actually. There's vaccine exemption forms. No school can legally deny your child admission into their school if you have a vaccine exemption form. You can obtain a vaccination exemption form by not getting vaccines due to personal beliefs and/or religion.
I didn't get mine. I want to do more research on it. I personally dont like vaccines and refuse to get flu shots and things of that nature. I was never vaccinated as a child and the worse thing I got was chicken pox from someone at school. I dont like the idea of shooting a small amount of a virus inside of my baby when he has not developed an immune system. Just do your research and come up with your decision. Dont let anyone pressure you about what decision to make. Its all up to you. Like I said I dont like the idea of it but im going to continue doing my research
I didn't get the flu shot as I did my research and there's so many types of influenza that the one they vaccinate you against probably won't ever come in contact with you BUT I will definitely be getting my whooping cough because it's complete rubish that it causes autism but even if it did like someone said above surely you'd rather bring up a child with autism than have your baby die? !?
kylialyssah, everything you have said is the absolute truth girl! don't let these ladies make you feel crazy. you're right, people believe anything they see on news/media and they do whatever their doctors advise them to do without even doing their own research. sad world. wake up people. think for yourselves. just because a doctor says its "safe" definitely doesn't always mean it is. all they know about vaccinations is what they are told, rarely do they do their own research. the ingredients is vaccinations are disgusting and are not safe. my daughter is not vaccinated shes three and much healthier then her peers who have all been sick multiple times. vaccinated children get sick way more often then unvaccinated kids. vaccinations are awful but what yall don't realize is so are all the medicines you  giveyour baby the minute they get a fever. or the lotions you rub into their precious skin. the processed, cloned, gmo, disgusting meat amd food you feed your children. the chemically made formula you force yoir babies to drink. use your heads people DO research instead of blindly following the crowd.
homeschooling is a absolutely wonderful option. you have the ability to teach your child the important things, you're giving your child theability to think for themselves and be open minded instead of being forced to learn the same garbage the government want us to learn. not to mention you get more time with your children to bond and watch them grow into smart educated children. plus you get to avoid your child being bullied to the point of no return, you get to avoid your child being peer pressured into doing drugs and having sex.  you dont have to worry about keepong them in name brand clothes just so they will fit in. look at statistics. homeschooling is amazing. but even of you can't homeschool, you can get a exemption and your child can still go  to any school or daycare!  they cannot refuse your child "education"
I totally love the idea of homeschooling for bonding purposes but as far as getting bullied and drugs and such... They'll be exposed to it eventually and they have to learn and build themselves up that way socially. I was horribly bullied in school and yeah, it was bad at the time but I can honestly say it made me such a strong person and without that id be completely vulnerable! Those things still happen in college and you can't homeschool college kids, also as far as drugs and sex go, it can be more dangerous in college so not having a clue or real world experience with it can affect a child in that way. I don't 100% disagree with home schooling, but from personal experience and watching family members grow up being homeschooled, they have such a strange, unrealistic outlook on society.
And I also agree that the stuff kids are forced to learn in school is complete bull and they could be learning way more important things, but as far as social awareness and street smarts, school is helpful for kids!