A
A
A
Close
Pregnancy Community
72.3k Members
541150 tn?1306037443

Weight Gain!!!

I don’t understand. I had gained 13 lbs at my last prenatal visit. That was 9 days ago. They said it was perfect! Today I step on the scale to find out I’ve gained 20 lbs. I’m 25 weeks pregnant. I am experiencing swelling (feet, face and fingers) and have not been working out because of chronic headaches and fatigue. I still cannot believe I’ve gained THAT much weight. Nobody believes I’ve gained THAT much since I don’t look 20 lbs heavier. What could this be? I’ve been drinking lots of water. And well….I’ve been eating tootsie rolls, like 4-7 in one day. Are the delicious tootsies making me gain weight like this? What can I do (besides forgetting about the delicious tootsies) to NOT gain any weight this week, if that’s even possible? I just don’t want to have any complications that could affect my baby, like diabetes etc. And no I wasn’t underweight when I got pregnant. I was actually at a normal, healthy weight. Will working out help me NOT gain weight so rapidly? Any stories that you might want to share with me so I don’t feel like such an irresponsible mom?
21 Responses
541150 tn?1306037443
Oh, and I'm not carrying twins!! Just a beautiful singleton :-)
796506 tn?1370191905
Hey I had the same problem when I was pregnant with my first little boy... I had the worst!!!!! swelling in the world (everything imaginable) and more than likely it is water weight and it will fluctuate depending on what you eat and how much salt intake you have and how much you drink... I think that it is not a definite! I don't even have a scale in my house for this reason (even before I got pregnant) and just get weighed at my doctor's appointments. PS I don't think the tootsie rolls are going to hurt you unless the are the king sized ones!
541150 tn?1306037443
I truly think it is more water retention than actual fat. But I am still not happy about this. Maybe they’ll give me something to help me get all that excess fluid out of my body more efficiently at my next visit? Apparently my urination increase hasn’t helped much. Nickie….thanks for sharing. It’s working. I’m starting to feel better. I’ll make my husband place the scale some place where I can’t find it lol
964234 tn?1331952807
I know it's hard, but try not to worry too much.  I am the same as you I am usually very active and thin when I am not pregnant.  Even now pregnant I still I track what I eat on MH with the food tracker, and track my exercise (even when I know I make bad food choices).  I have gain 20 pounds too and I am only three weeks ahead of you.  I gained 8 pounds in one month at one visit...lol.  It is hard to watch the scale creep up and up.  
You are almost 6 months along and you can gain up to 35 pounds and still be in the "heathy" recommended weight gain... you still have 15 to go :)  Enjoy your tootsies, and try to eat lots of small healthy meals, and maybe try a few slow refreshing short walks during the week.  I have a treadmill, so that is nice because if I start to feel bad I can hop off and rest.  That may help slow the weight gain a little, and it's good for your circulation.  It may even help your energy some.
541150 tn?1306037443
Heather,

I think working out even helps with the excess water issue.  I just don’t know why I feel like I don’t really get any benefits from walking anymore. I know this happens to you too. But, I’ll do it, for maybe 30 minutes every other day or so. Geez….I’m so not used to this body lol.
964234 tn?1331952807
I know how you feel sometimes when I walk I think it's pointless because compared to what I am used to it doesn't feel like I am doing anything, especially with the scale going up.  But, it really does help us and keep the babies healthy too.  It's good to keep some form of physical activity routine also.  I always read about the affects of moms not gaining enough weight on the babies.  That seems to help me calm down a little about the weight gain and put me back into prospective that it's what's best for the little man.  You think tootsie rolls are bad, I have a mcdonalds practically accross the street from my house.  Luckily, I am not a fan of fast food but I am in love with dessert.  So, I make hot fudge sundae runs LOL or an oreo mcflurry on a regular basis.  I will be lucky if I only gain 35 pounds by the end haha.
Have an Answer?
Top Pregnancy Answerers
13167 tn?1327197724
Austin, TX
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Get information and tips on how to help you choose the right place to deliver your baby.
Get the facts on how twins and multiples are formed and your chance of carrying more than one baby at a time.
Learn about the risks and benefits of circumcision.
What to expect during the first hours after delivery.
Learn about early screening and test options for your pregnancy.
Learn about testing and treatment for GBS bacterium.