Aa
A
A
A
Close
Pregnancy Community
72.3k Members

Weight loss during pregnancy

Upon first receiving a postive pregnancy result, is it safe to try to lose excess weight (10 pounds or so) for a couple weeks as long as the diet is balanced and healthy? Thanks.
3 Responses
809236 tn?1280609758
No, it's not! Pregnancy is not a time to lose weight, even if you're overweight. In that case, you  would just be expected to gain less than average. Some women do lose weight in the first trimester, though, if they're having severe nausea and can't keep their food down. Any doctor would probably strictly ask you not to try to intentionally lose weight when pregnant.
1035252 tn?1427231433
I agree with pol79. do not try to lose weight, unless your doctor directs you to for a medical reason. If you're like me though you may without trying. I lost 20lbs during the first trimester when I was pregnant with my daughter, and 16lbs during the first trimester with this pregnancy. just from nausea and lack of appetite. I gained a little back 2nd trimester with this pregnancy, but only like 7 lbs and I've been steadily losing again so chances are I will be much lighter after pregnancy than I was before...so you never know! But you have to put baby's nutrition first and baby needs all the calories, so even if you're packing in the vitamins and minerals they still need the calories and so does your body, and because weight loss is about burning more calories than you consume, it's not something you want to do while pregnant. congrats, and ask your doctor if you're truly determined but I would say not to.
1186413 tn?1326734149
I would say it would be ok as long as it's not a very fast weight lose and you are maintaining a proper diet for the baby.  If you start eating healthier that is always a good thing for the pregnancy.  Now if you are not eating certain meals and not getting enough calories per day then I would say it's not healthy.  Good luck.
Have an Answer?
Top Pregnancy Answerers
13167 tn?1327197724
Austin, TX
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Get information and tips on how to help you choose the right place to deliver your baby.
Get the facts on how twins and multiples are formed and your chance of carrying more than one baby at a time.
Learn about the risks and benefits of circumcision.
What to expect during the first hours after delivery.
Learn about early screening and test options for your pregnancy.
Learn about testing and treatment for GBS bacterium.