Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

What food is off limits from here on out?

So, I am already freaking out when it comes to nutrition and eating. All I want is a healthy baby and have been looking online at all the foods and stuff you should stay away from and I am like, I already ate that! I had that last week! I have heard fish is an absolute NO but then I read that some fish like tuna, salmon, and tilapia are very good for the baby when it comes to neurological development. And then I have read absolutely NO deli meat or sandwich meat, well, what am I supposed to eat?! I had Subway two days ago and it was filled with every single kind of meat they had... I am just a worry wart (as you can see). Can someone give me some advice or heads up?
5 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Any food is okay to eat as long as you are positive it has been stored and cooked thoroughly. Deli meats are fine, you don't need to heat them up. Heating them up actually makes the chances of bacteria occurring even greater. Because of all the temperature changes. Raw fish  and tuna are iffy because of mercury, but that's a chance you take even if you aren't pregnant, so just be smart about what you eat. If it looks smells or tastes off, don't even think about it.
Helpful - 0
okay, thanks everyone! all of that makes sense, and i know definitely no sushi, as much as i love it, i'll have to omit it from my diet for now.
Helpful - 0
3360193 tn?1365871889
No sushi, make sure your chicken is cooked right through, nothing with raw egg in it (so avoid home-made mayo - shop bought mayo is ok) and avoid soft cheeses that have matured with a mould rind (ieBrie, Camembert and Goats Cheese) x
Helpful - 0
They tell u not to eat deli meat bcos u dont no how long its been lyin there. You can still eat th packet meat and that. Subway use fresh foods so that should be fine. Th only thing i dont eat is nuts and thts bcos my bf has an allergy so baby could have it too. Oh and patè. But apart from that ur fine.
Helpful - 0
2075737 tn?1379447682
You can have deli meat as long as you heat it up first until it's steamy, so it will kill any bacteria that it may have. I think you can have up to two servings of fish like tuna a week. Other than that, just eat mainly healthy, fruits, veggies, grains, meat & beans, and lots of dairy. And of course prenatal vitamins everyday lol. You'll be ok :)
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Pregnancy Community

Top Pregnancy Answerers
13167 tn?1327194124
Austin, TX
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Get information and tips on how to help you choose the right place to deliver your baby.
Get the facts on how twins and multiples are formed and your chance of carrying more than one baby at a time.
Learn about the risks and benefits of circumcision.
What to expect during the first hours after delivery.
Learn about early screening and test options for your pregnancy.
Learn about testing and treatment for GBS bacterium.