What to look for in foods when pregnant?

I Just found out I'm pregnant about 10 days ago, just had my first ultrasound today and she said everything looks good! I heard the baby's heartbeat at 6 weeks 3 days, and it's very, very strong, thank god. I want to eat healthy not just during my pregnancy but after as well, I just don't know what's good and what's bad for me to eat while pregnant?
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
well of course fruits and veggies are great for you. with both my pregnancies i try to eat lots of fruit. The only thing I know to monitor your intake is fish. You can only have limited amounts of fish during pregnancies due to mercury levels. They also say watch your meats, like lunch meat and hot dogs really arent that great while pregnant, but thats because of possible listeria i believe. But I eat subway all the time and my kids are fine. Just do your research and you will find lots of stuff about eating healthy while pregnant.
Helpful - 0
Eat anything healthy really.

You can look for foods high in vitamins, and especially calcium!  Iron as well!  Of course the prenatals have both of those!

Potassium, and Fiber are good.  Fiber helps keep you not so completely constipated!  =)

I eat really healthy foods, plus I also drink Naked, or Odwalla Superfood drinks!  They contain lot's of vitamins vegatables and fruits!!  Also, V8 Fusion does as well!  Their drinks, and they can fill you up for a snack wise.  So if your at work, you can buy a couple of those for the day and drink them inbetween meals.

They do say to no eat giant meals at breakfast lunch and dinner, but to eat a little bigger than small amounts through out the day to keep the hunger controled.  Doing it that way helps with nausea as well.

If you get bad morning sickness, go pick up a vitamins B-6.  It helps with nausea, and promotes a healthy heart!  Read the containers though, and make sure it doesn't contain more than 100 mg per tab.  One a day is good for that!  =)

Congrats, and have a healthy and happy 9 months!
Helpful - 0
Oh the thing with meats, are you have to make sure their cooked fully, and lunch meat you heat for 5 to 10 seconds before you eat it and it'll kill bacteria on it.

Fish is, once a week sort of thing!  Salmon is really good for you, tuna they say to limit to maybe once a week or every other week.  But the seafood department can give you information on all fish!  
Helpful - 0
There are lots of books out there detailing what you want to eat while pregnant. I know that What to Expect While you're Expecting has a whole section on nutririon- including listing the amounts of everything you need a day  in each trimester. Just try and stay healthy and excersise...

My nutritionist has told me not to touch fish at all during my pregnancy. It is too risky- there is no control over what that fish has ingested. This is because fish are highly contaminated- metals, plastics etc. Fish caught from the sea have swallowed plastic we have released into the water, plastic has BPA, and they are linking BPA to many disorders including Austism.
Helpful - 0
Thank you all so much :] Hopefully the baby comes out healthy! That's all I'm looking for :D
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Pregnancy Community