this is my third pregnancy, I've learn the less you take the better, if it's a vag birth you'll only be there for two days. the last thing you want is taking unnecessary item with you, that you'll have to drag home plus with new baby. So here is a list of stuff you'll actually need!! Good luck
Must haves for you **
* house slippers, warm / non slip socks
* lose fitting clothing
* your own pads if you choose (most hospitals provide them though)
* camera / chargers
* hair tie
*make up (if any)
* personal items "travel size "!!! ( shampoo /conditioner, Shower shoes , body wash tooth paste /brush, hair brush, breast pads.
* going home outfit for you + baby
Must haves for baby***
* warm blanket for the trip home
* car seat already installed
* *** leave diapers+ wipes at home the hospital provides them so save yours!!!
Must haves for hubby***
* change of cloths
* house shoes
* change/money for vending machine
* & personals
Hope this list helps! I'm 32 weeks and just now getting mine together slowly but surly
SweetBee3 pretty much summed it up perfectly. The only things I'd add to that list is nipple cream (if you're planning on breastfeeding) as well as a breastfeeding pillow (though not necessary, it helped me with breastfeeding in comfort). Also, a light weight robe to wear to and from the bathroom is great for unexpected company, and you don't want your butt to be showing getting back into and out of bed, LOL.
Nipple cream saved my life last time. Baby wraps/swaddles and spare maternity bras are handy too